Principal Software Engineer at Namely
We are seeking a Principal Software Engineer with exceptional hands-on coding and architecture capabilities to help lead and grow our engineering organization. You will focus across all engineering teams, driving architecture, design, foundational domain modeling, standards and practices, and our technical roadmap. You will also mentor and code hands-on with specific teams to embed and deliver high-priority initiatives that involve new technologies, approaches or other aspects of engineering that require hands-on leadership by example.
You will build high quality, architecturally-sound systems that will change how people engage strategically and tactically with HR technology. You will think globally when designing and building the Namely platform, ensuring the architecture is evolving in the right long-term direction, bringing value to all engineering teams, and bringing value to customers daily. You will write great code, solve difficult problems, set a high bar for engineering standards and practices, and help mentor and grow the entire engineering organization.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for making a positive difference, solving complex problems efficiently, constantly learning as well as teaching, and a strong background in building best-in-class large-scale SaaS or consumer applications.Responsibilities
- Lead definition of the Namely Engineering Platform roadmap across infrastructure, applications, 3rd-party APIs, data engineering, and quality practices
- Be responsible for software architecture, including determination of current limitations and compatibilities between subsystems, selection of new concepts and methodologies, and development of major components
- Lead definition of the foundational data model and domain modeling
- Guide and/or execute forward-looking eng-wide research and PoCs
- Identify the common technical challenges teams face and the patterns and approaches for solving them
- Evangelize across teams to foster adoption of tools, patterns, architectural approaches and best practices
- Guide teams on architecture and design discussions
- Provide technical mentorship to engineers across our organization
- Lead by example and produce high-quality code that establishes coding standards, quality standards, and best practices for all teams
- Be a strong partner to Product Managers, UX Designers, and other functions
- Effectively communicate technical and business risks to stakeholders
- 15+ years of software engineering experience, with a proven track record of engineering large-scale, high availability, and fault tolerant SaaS or consumer applications
- 1+ years of experience as a Principal Engineer or other cross-team technical lead role, including optimizing short-term execution while planning for long-term technical capabilities and evangelizing technology and practices across a multi-team engineering org
- Extensive experience with architecting, building and operating distributed systems
- Experience with cross-platform integrations, as with 3rd party APIs, ETL integrations, or similar cross-platform systems integrations
- 3+ years data engineering experience
- Experience building data analytics and insights products
- Experience scaling and tuning batch and realtime data pipelines
- Proven deliverables using Spark, Flink, EMR or Dataproc/Dataflow technologies with Kafka or other PubSub tools
- Experience with traditional RDBMSs
- Experience with docker and orchestration frameworks like Kubernetes or Mesos
- Experience with cloud platforms like AWS (preferred) or GCP
- Self-driven, ownership mindset
- Go, C#, Scala, Java or similar language
- Strong experience in agile and test-driven methodologies
Namely is the first HR, payroll, and benefits platform employees actually love to use. People are at the center of everything we do—from our platform to our staff. Why join us? We believe every company and every employee deserves a great workplace, supported by HR technology they use and love. Most importantly, we believe in giving you the tools you need to do the best work of your career.
We invite you to fill out the EEO survey below as part of our ongoing diversity initiatives at Namely. Your participation in the survey is completely optional and voluntary, and none of the information you provide will be considered in the hiring process or with respect to any employment decision made by Namely. Namely will have access only to anonymized data submitted through these surveys.