Product Design Engineer at Casper
Casper is seeking a Product Design Engineer to join our growing team. You will use your technical expertise in mechanical engineering to shape the design and development of a broad range of physical products, including furniture, mattresses and soft goods.
Casper (casper.com) is a global sleep company that launched in 2014 with an obsessively engineered, outrageously comfortable mattress sold directly to consumers. Its critically acclaimed sleep surface was developed in-house, has a sleek design, and is delivered in a small, "how did they do that?"-sized box. The company is one of the fastest-growing consumer brands of all time, and its product line has expanded to include sheets, pillows, duvets, furniture, and a dog mattress. Casper was named one of Fast Company's 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2017, and its eponymous mattress was crowned one of TIME Magazine's Best Inventions.We are deeply committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce so that we represent equally all those who dream big.When you’re not catching zzz’s, this is what you’ll do
- Work directly with a team of industrial designers, design researchers, and product managers to develop new mattress, soft goods, and furniture products and lead the continuous improvement of existing products.
- Work in different materials and fidelities, from quick experimental mock-ups to meticulous mechanical prototypes.
- Develop CAD databases and drawing packages to support the development of products and handoffs to manufacturers.
- Research materials and component technologies to scope development opportunities
- Conduct field failure analysis and solution evaluation for production product issues
- Source and engage with manufacturers and vendors
- Work with Manufacturing and Quality teams to launch new products and manage ongoing improvements on in-market products.
Our dream candidate...
- Is passionate about creating new physical products, with 5+ years of product development experience, ideally with a focus on furniture, soft goods, and/or consumer products
- Is experienced working with a variety of materials including, but not limited to, polyurethane foam, textiles, upholstery, plastics, metals, and wood.
- Supports design decisions with engineering calculations, research, and experimentation.
- Strong foundation in mechanical engineering fundamentals, including solid mechanics and thermodynamics, and knowledge of basic engineering materials and manufacturing processes
- Experience in performing tolerance analyses
- Proactive problem solving, with experience in failure analysis, root cause investigation, and DOE creation
- Is skilled in SolidWorks 3D CAD
- Basic GD&T knowledge and experience releasing 2D drawings
- Working knowledge of FEA principles
- Has shipped product.
- Travel to factories post Covid 10-20%
- Experience working through DFM challenges with external vendors
- Has experience with Product Lifecycle Management tools (PLM software), requirements management tools and/or configuration management
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- Salary to pay your bills, a potential bonus for some splurging, and equity so that you’re part of the Casper family.
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance to help you with those coughs or cavities (too many waffles...).
- 401K program so you have some savings for later in life.
- Extra cash incentives for being healthy and fit (we actually give you money to track your sleep!).
- Unlimited vacation policy. If you need time off just take it; we trust you!
- Free snacks and coffee, including a huge breakfast selection (10 types of cereal anyone?)
- A full gifted bed set when you join (mattress, sheets, pillows, the works)!
If you dream about this stuff this job is probably right for you. We look forward to learning more about you, but if you’re feeling sleepy, take a nap before applying!