QA Automation Engineer & Lead (New York)
ABOUT HAVEN LIFE
Haven Life is an insurtech innovator at MassMutual that offers a new way to get life insurance online that's actually simple.
We combine the culture of a startup with the stability and backing of a Fortune 500 company to create an environment that's truly unique.
Our diverse team is comprised of smart, collaborative people who think big, execute quickly and don't take themselves too seriously.
If you're creative, professional and kind, we'd love to hear from you.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You will be responsible for managing and executing the testing of our advanced insurance applications and platform. You will need to learn and understand our products at a detailed level and work with the team (primarily made up of developers, product managers, and other QA engineers) to ship high-quality products or features every two weeks.
Your testing responsibilities will include:
- Lead or perform software test projects and tasks
- Review epics and stories, define the right test plan and criteria for them, and provide effort estimates
- Establish clear expectations of scope and timing of all testing deliverables with the team
- Define, execute, and document manual tests, test data, and test results with necessary detail
- Communicate test results to the team and help prioritize and resolve any issues
- Analyze and debug production defects and work with the team to prioritize and resolve them
- Deploy and troubleshoot local, sandbox, and/or CI/CD environments to enable testing
- Identify ways to make the testing process and surrounding processes more efficient and effective over time
- Document knowledge that will be useful for new team members looking to test your product and its dependencies
Your automation responsibilities will include:
- Design, create and maintain testing framework(s) as needed
- Automate back-end, API, front-end, and other test cases in a complex multi-product, multi-services environment using tools such as Selenium Protractor or by writing code in our in-house testing framework
- Create tools to run automated tests in different environments at pre-set times automatically or at code merge
- Create reporting frameworks and actual reports of test results, and set up automated storage and distribution of them
- Define and maintain a sprint roadmap for test automation in consultation with the team and other stakeholders
Your QA Lead responsibilities will include:
- Define and drive QA strategy for the team, including resourcing, testing methodology, and automation approach
- Represent the voice of QA in team-level and cross-team planning activities
- Ensure mutual expectations between QA and other functions (Product, Development, Infrastructure, etc.) are clear and hold each function accountable for what is expected of them
- Balance workload among QA team members taking into account business needs as well as individual skills, interests, and availability
- Provide guidance and feedback to QA team members related to QA skills and areas for improvement, and share with QA Manager as appropriate
- This role entails a mix of manual and automation work, with manual being the minority (10%-30%). However, for new products, features, and projects, the business may require a higher degree of manual testing.
- Also, this role is primarily a hands-on individual contributor role. The QA Lead responsibilities are expected to take a small portion (~10%) of your time and do NOT include formal people management.
These skills are essential for success in this position:
- Minimum 4 years of QA experience (including minimum 1 year of automation experience) on web applications in multi-application production environments
- Minimum 2 years of QA automation or developer experience on web applications in production environments
- Minimum 1 year of QA lead or dev lead experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or other related or similar field, e.g., Information Technology, Management Information Systems, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics) or international equivalent degree or equivalent work experience
- Experience with multiple types of testing, for example, regression testing, ad hoc testing, feature testing, user acceptance testing, user interface testing, integration testing, performance testing, security testing, etc.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong problem solving and root cause analysis skills, including debugging and log analysis
- Hands-on experience writing, running, and maintaining automation testing frameworks and/or automated tests
- Experience with SQL queries
- Qualified applicants must be authorized to work in the US with or without sponsorship now or in the future
- Must be able to work full-time from our Manhattan office
These skills are a strong plus:
- Planning and Decision Making
- Ability to make decisions while taking into account multiple considerations (e.g,, business, product, development, individual needs, etc.)
- Ability to communicate ideas and plans clearly and build support for them
- Ability to push back, when needed, with care and reasoning
- Ability to deal with the unknown and adapt the plan
- Ability to hold oneself accountable for outcomes that are broader than one’s individual deliverables
- Ability to hold others (e.g., QA, Product, Development, Infrastructure, etc.) accountable for what is expected of them as per agreed plan, process, or best practices
- Ability to identify activities that should be performed by others on the team and proactively delegate them with clear expectations
These skills are a plus:
- Selenium Protractor Experience
- Ability to set up and troubleshoot local and sandbox environments
- Ability and willingness to look into code bases outside one’s direct responsibility to identify potential failure points
- Extensive experience with the Agile methodology and frequent releases
- Experience in multi-platform testing (desktop, tablet, mobile) and multi-browser testing
- Experience with quality assurance metrics and reporting
- Familiarity with CI/CD concepts and best practices including build and source control automation tools Jenkins and Git
We have a stellar team of co-workers, a really cool office, and lots of fun activities. Oh yeah, and we pay competitive base salaries and we reward performance. Our salary structure is commensurate with experience. In addition, you will be eligible to participate in our comprehensive benefits program including medical insurance and 401(K).
The privacy of your personal information is important to us, click here to review our privacy notice.