R&D Manager at The Farmer's Dog
The Farmer’s Dog was created to radically improve the $90 billion global pet food industry — starting with a subscription service that sends freshly-made food directly to customers’ doors. Long term, our aim is to simplify every part of pet care, bettering the lives of the animals who make our lives better. We recently raised our Series B and are backed by early investors of Warby Parker, Dollar Shave Club, Sweetgreen, and Glossier.
Join The Farmer’s Dog team as we continue to figure out ways of bringing peace of mind to customers, health to their companions, and much-needed change to the way people feed and care for their pets.
#mustlovedogsWhere You'll Come In
The R&D Manager will own our formulation process and ensure new products successfully comply with AAFCO requirements. In addition to developing new products, the R&D Manager will evaluate current products and continually strive to optimize ingredients and processes. This person will work closely with our Co-Manufacturing and Product teams to produce bench-top samples and refine formulations given ingredient specifications. Lastly, the R&D Manager will serve as a liaison with our Customer Experience team to explain the benefits of our fresh food and answer specific questions about dietary needs.
- Develop new formulas that make fresh food accessible for all pet owners
- Optimize current recipes to evaluate and improve palatability
- Work closely with our manufacturing partners to monitor and improve processes
- Partner with nutritionists and veterinarians to address fresh pet food concerns and collaborate with leaders in the pet food space
- Educate our customer experience team on high level pet nutrition questions and ensure we are providing accurate, actionable responses to customers
- 7+ years of experience working for a large food CPG company in a R&D, Nutrition or Product Development role
- 3+ years of experience specifically focused on pet food formulation
- Advanced degree in food science, animal nutrition or related field
- Familiarity with AAFCO Pet Food regulations
- Experience working with formulation software
- Understanding of how manufacturing processes impact formulations and end-result nutritionals
- A problem solver who can work with ambiguity and help build processes from the ground up
- Brand new dog-friendly office in Greenwich Village (complete with free-roaming friendly dogs)
- Comprehensive Healthcare, Dental, and Vision
- Flexible PTO and WFH policy
- Discounted fresh food for your pup
- Strict daily belly rub quota