SDE I, Publishing Tools at Discovery Digital Media
Discovery, Inc is the leader in global real-life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Food Network, HGTV, and Travel Channel. Our Digital Studios team develops experiences on web, mobile, and voice that reach millions of users each day - inspiring them with ideas and tools to create their own unique world.
We’re looking for a passionate, product-focused, well-rounded engineer to join our team. At Discovery, we’re building exciting, meaningful products for our popular lifestyle brands like Food Network and HGTV that push forward the intersection of emerging technologies and the content that people love and trust. Our renowned applications across all platforms make it easier and more enjoyable for people to discover ways to craft their own unique world.
As part of our team, you will build publishing tools that power the next generation of Digital and Direct-to-Consumer product for Magnolia, a joint venture partnership between Discovery, Inc. and Chip and Jo Gaines. The Magnolia product will solve practical problems for customers, improve their everyday lives, and create passionate and loyal fans. You’ll play a critical ownership role in validating new ideas and concepts, building new features, enabling data-driven collaboration, and exploring new ways we can engage our customers through our content.
1. Become a key part of an exciting, collaborative, cross-functional team.
2. Prototype and build products for the web and other platforms that enable our content creators and other teams to create new experiences for our fans in millions of households.
3. Work with engineering leadership to figure out technical challenges and make architecture decisions.
4. Work closely with your peers across engineering, product, design, editorial, marketing and operations to create products that people love to come to work and use.
6. Work in rapid iterations, always looking to deliver the best possible version of a product.
7. Develop and ship fast, tested, resilient code that others find easy to comprehend and modify.
8. Participate with teams to deliver end-to-end product quality to help make our products more reliable, performant and delightful.
9. Work out of our food-friendly offices in beautiful Chelsea Market in the hip, fun Meatpacking district in New York City!
* Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field from an accredited college or university, or commensurate experience
* 2+ years of experience developing web applications using React and Node technologies and have shipped single-page applications.
* Strong knowledge of React framework.
* Knowledge of cloud infrastructure and platforms (e.g., Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud, Heroku) is a plus
* Willingness to try things just to see if they work and where the rough edges are.
* Be intellectually curious and look for opportunities to expand your technical and personal skill-set.
* Empathy for users and teammates, and care as much about how the systems you create impact your users and fellow engineers as you do about the code itself.
* Excited to work in a highly collaborative environment.
* Excellent verbal and written English communication skills, and can help others learn what you have learned.
* Must have the right to work in the United States.