Discovery, Inc is the leader in global real-life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Channel, Genius Kitchen, TLC, Food Network, HGTV, and Travel Channel. Our Digital Studios team develops experiences on the web, mobile, and voice that reaches millions of users each day - inspiring them with ideas and tools to create their own unique world.
We are looking for a talented Director of Engineering to lead engineering teams focused on building tools that bring our content to life on Food Network and other lifestyle brands. Our publishing tools help our Editorial staff build sophisticated experiences that combine video, photography, and rich media. You’ll be leading the engineering team working closely with Product Management and Editorial teams. We believe that the best publishing tools help create the best user experiences, so we have built our platform from in-house using React, AWS serverless technologies such as Lambda, API Gateway, and DynamoDB (amongst many others).
This role will collaborate closely with our product teams, design teams and other engineering teams to build publishing platforms and tools. You will help drive all aspects of the agile software development process; providing coaching to team members; and collaborating with other Discovery teams on shared objectives.
1. Lead Engineering teams providing coaching, mentoring, setting goals, and recruiting talent
2. Focus on building publishing platform powering direct-to-consumer mobile and other applications across digital brands
3. Manage the entire lifecycle of services from design to development to operating in production
4. Master developing and operating applications fully leveraging AWS technologies, including serverless offerings
5. Day-to-day support of project initiatives including participation in sprint planning, team retrospectives, and code reviews
6. Weigh several and often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a fast-paced environment with constant change
7. Help implement effective engineering processes and policies that emphasize quality and forward progress
8. Communicate status, roadblocks and requirements to senior management in order to proactively solve problems and drive solutions
* 5+ years leading and managing a software engineering team (providing coaching, mentoring, setting goals, and recruiting talent)
* 5+ years experience using Node, Java, Python, or other similar language
* 2+ years experience using AWS managed services such as Lambda, DynamoDB, SQS, Kinesis, API Gateway, etc
* Strong knowledge of cloud infrastructure, CI/CD pipeline and platforms (e.g., Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud).
* Knowledge of large-scale application architecture, design, implementation and performance tuning.
* Experience managing remote employees is a plus.
* A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
* Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
* Computer Science fundamentals in data structures and big data systems
* Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.