SDM III - Roku at Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more) This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring a software engineering leader to join our team.
1. You understand a broad range of computer science concepts, and know how, when, and when not to use them. You can dive deep into a wide range of technical problems offering suggestions and feedback to your team. Your interest in computer science has not faded as you moved into a leadership role and you are still comfortable with technical details.
2. Your written and verbal communication skills are top notch. You can distil key points out of complex technical descriptions to share with non-technical stakeholders, adapting your language and style of communication depending on the audience. You communicate through data, dates, and facts using emotion judiciously to motivate and inspire.
3. You lead by example and do not consider yourself above individual contributor work. You are comfortable teaching best practices by showing people, not just telling people. Teams follow your lead because you are an inspirational leader, because you are right, and because you can show everyone high quality examples of your own work.
4. You have demonstrated that you can manage multiple teams, or an area of strategic importance and significant impact. You are able to work effectively through other managers reporting to you.
5. You influence teams and groups outside your wider organization with your deep insight and strategic thinking.
6. You have participated in strategic planning and demostrated good judgment in setting and delivering against strategic goals for your team. You are able to drive outcomes using key performance indicator goals within your team rather than dictating specific deliverables.
7. You have demonstrated the ability to make great hiring decisions as is evidence by the performance of engineers and managers on your team, and you are able to retain and develop the best engineers and managers. You have mentored and managed other engineering managers successfully. Your team is capable and autonomous without your continuous oversight and decision making as a result of your coaching of your own managers.
8. You create a culture of innovation, encouraging your team members to find new and better ways to achieve their goals. You foster an appropriate culture of tolerance for taking innovative risk.
* Proficient in Java 8, including use of Fugtures and Streams
* Experience with one or more of: PostgreSQL and MySQL, Caching solutions (such as Redis and Guava), Search engine technology (preferably ElasticSearch)
* Knowledge of, and professional experience with most AWS services, and deeper knowledge of EC2, S3, Kinesis, CloudFront and CloudWatch.
* Asynchronous, non-blocking, functional style of programming and experience implementing with frameworks such as Vert.x, Spring, Node.js
* Usage and deep understanding of Docker and Kubernetes
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States