Security Engineering Manager at Policygenius
Policygenius continues to disrupt the insurance industry by delivering innovative technology-driven experiences. Our talented, yet humble team, is dogma-free and data oriented. We are relentless in our mission to reliably and securely deliver outstanding products and services at scale. We are growing fast, but we can go further faster with experienced, collaborative, challenge-seeking security minded people like yourself.
As our first Security Engineering Manager, you will help to build and lead a team of talented security engineers to architect a security engineering program from the ground up. You’ll drive the team to maintain and build partnerships with our Site Reliability Engineering, Software Engineering and Tech Operations teams to ensure Policygenius is doing all we can to protect the company’s and our customer’s data. While this is a people manager role, we’re a small (but mighty!) team - you’ll be rolling your sleeves up to help the team execute on further securing our environment and building a best in class security program.
You will have the mindset of a technology partner and enabler who is seen as a trusted adviser. You will be able to coach, mentor, educate, advise on system design and architecture, implement/configure/monitor security tools, and help drive an appreciation for security. If you like to automate and shift security left, manage risk, and further enable business, then this role’s for you.
In this role, you will…
- Utilize threat modeling to design, select, implement, and configure security solutions to keep our data secure while helping the business meet objectives
- Collaborate with our SRE and TechOps teams
- Stay up-to-date on vulnerabilities and risks, and drive responses to protect our environment
- Coach and build a team of security engineers while also laying the groundwork of Security Engineering culture within our greater org
- Respond to incidents as part of our incident response process
- Gather, aggregate, and analyze security related data
- Create clear and concise documentation to formalize security processes
We’d love to hear from you if…
- You have 5+ years of experience within the security domain, including managing delivery of complex projects, mentoring, acting as a role model for other engineers and evaluating complex tradeoffs and priorities, with at least 2 years using public cloud technologies (GCP preferred, but AWS, Azure etc are welcome!).
- You have 2+ years of people management experience
- You have working knowledge of endpoint, cloud, containerization, databases and network security engineering best practices.
- You have deep familiarity with information security frameworks (e.g. NIST, CIS, or ISO) and experience architecting solutions to meet compliance requirements (e.g. PCI-DSS, GDRP, CCPA).
- You are a problem solver who is able to quickly digest issues and recommend an appropriate solution based on risk and need.
- You have experience formulating a clear and actionable plan, with experience executing against it.
- You can successfully work in a fast paced, agile environment.
You can expect...
- Company-paid health, dental, vision, life & disability insurance
- 401(k) plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Generous PTO
- Training, mentorship and coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to grow alongside a company shaking up a big, old-fashioned industry
- Fun, diverse, open-minded coworkers
- Dog companionship!!!
Policygenius is America’s leading online insurance marketplace. Since 2014, our mission has been to help people get the financial protection they need (and feel good about it). We make it easy for our customers to understand their options, compare quotes, and buy insurance, all in one place. To date, we’ve helped more than 30 million people shop for all types of insurance and placed over $45 billion in coverage.
At Policygenius, we’re proud of building an environment that encourages our teammates to bring their authentic selves to work. Despite rapid growth (we’ve doubled in size year over year!), we’ve continuously maintained our inclusive culture through humility, hard-work, and humor, and we’re looking for more people with grit, collaborative attitudes, and creative problem-solving skills to join our team. Come see why we’ve been voted one of Inc. Magazine’s “Best Workplaces” two years in a row!
Diversity at Policygenius
Policygenius believes differences should be celebrated and is committed to building a team as diverse as the customers we serve. We welcome different perspectives and opinions to foster innovation, authenticity, and excellence across all parts of our company, and are committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Policygenius highly encourages applicants from all walks of life. All employment decisions at Policygenius are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to actual or perceived race, color, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, political affiliation or belief, religion, disability, uniformed service, marital status or any other status protected by law.
Come join the team!