Security Software Engineer
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about making the internet a safer place for everyone.
We are looking for a creative engineer to solve high-scale security problems. Reporting to the Director of Security Engineering, the Security Software Engineer will find innovative ways to bring security-focused products and services to our internal engineering teams, and our customers.
Our customers trust us with their data and operations, and we take that responsibility seriously. Security at DO means solving incredibly complex problems at a high-scale that have real impact for our customers, our products, and for the larger internet community.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Build and maintain security platforms and services, for both internal and external use.
- Develop and deploy security capabilities at scale, using languages such as Go and Ruby, and tools such as Kubernetes, Docker, and Chef.
- Research and design automated approaches to reducing the risk of fraud, abuse, and misuse of the DigitalOcean products and services.
- Partner with engineering teams to make sure that we deliver an excellent and secure workflow spanning development, deployment, and production monitoring.
- Design customer-impacting security applications and services that advance DigitalOcean’s ability to help our customers improve their security posture.
- Work with product and engineering teams to design and implement secure architectures.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to advise on remediation to insecure code and libraries.
- Consistently improve security as the platform scales, driving continuous improvement through data collection and correlation, being mindful that security should be an efficiency enabler for the business - not a detractor.
- Software engineering experience (you can write robust code with good test coverage and can point to specific examples of projects you’ve successfully delivered in the past)
- A high degree of curiosity, with a clear passion around security as a lifestyle.
- You approach each problem with a degree of creativity that incorporates previous internal/external approaches as a data point, not a rulebook.
- Interest in security and a desire to build secure by default services and applications
- Expertise with at least one of the following languages: Go, Ruby, Python, C/C++, Java
- A working knowledge of cluster management tools like Kubernetes or Mesos
- A professional track record of success in shipping well engineered, tested, and observable code
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Security team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!