Senior Back End Software Engineer at Bread
Bread is a technology company that aims to transform the world of paper credit card applications and hidden interest rates by providing leading point-of-sale financing options for merchants across the e-commerce journey. We build tools, technologies, and APIs that allow merchants to integrate an installment loan financing and checkout experience anywhere in their customers’ shopping journey. Bread was started in 2015 by financial technology veterans and has experienced explosive growth to date.
This individual will join Bread’s Core Engineering group. We are a relatively new group, and our main goal is to service all the verticals in our product engineering organization by providing a cross-platform, easy-to-use, abstract software solution(s) that emphasize on scalability and extensibility. Core Engineering is uniquely set up to work with all teams within Bread, and our end-clients are essentially our colleagues and peer engineers. Our group will work primarily on the backend using Go. Some product examples that we are developing include Workflows, Authentication, and BRE (Business Rules Engine). We are an easy going and dedicated group and our responsibilities are evolving. We are looking for talented and excited engineers to join us!
Your role at Bread:
- Lead the development of major components, coordinating with other developers and cross-functional team members
- Design new iterations of our services and APIs
- Be tool oriented - you’ll write tools and introduce approaches that we didn't know we needed but that after a month we won't know how we lived without them
- Build distributed systems that scale as we rapidly grow
- Provide accurate development time estimates and communicate effectively with engineering management
- Partner with other leaders in the engineering organization to set team-wide standards and cultivate an innovative engineering culture
What we are looking for:
- Expertise building scalable, reliable distributed systems
- Expert knowledge of server-side languages and data stores (our system is built with Go and PostgreSQL, but we’re also happy to speak with those that have strong backend experience with other languages, including JVM languages like Java or Scala; Python; Rust, or C++)
- Experience with relational and non-relational databases
- Experience with public web APIs
- A passion for engineering and technology
Nice to have:
- Experience with message-based, loosely coupled architectures (we use gRPC, RabbitMQ and Redis)
- Experience developing systems intended for cloud deployments (AWS, EKS, lambda’s, etc)
- Experience with Go/PostgreSQL/Rabbit/Redis
- Basic DevOps experience is helpful
Engineers at Bread also get the opportunity to participate in “20%” time through Working Groups! Working Groups are quarterly teams of 4 to 6 engineers who set out to tackle a specific engineering initiative outside of their core engineering team. Working Groups have included ones for Logging Architecture, Internal Authentication, Community & Blogs, Testing Infrastructure, and Monitoring. Groups meet every Friday to plan and own their roadmap and implement their features. All engineers get a chance to be in one of these groups and over time potentially lead a group for that quarter. It's another opportunity as an engineer at Bread to have impact across the entire organization!