Senior Backend Engineer -- Curriculum Platform Team
Greater NYC Area
Codecademy has helped over 45 million people learn to code. Join one of the most exciting technology companies in New York that is changing the way we learn.
Millennials are highly-educated, tech-literate, and mission-driven. Yet seven years after the great recession ended, nearly half of young university grads are underemployed, meaning they aren’t working jobs that require a degree. And the situation has only recently begun to improve. This year US students will graduate with $37,000 in debt, only to accept unpaid internships and part-time jobs.
Meanwhile, software is eating the world, disrupting first media, publishing, and entertainment, and now food, transportation, and travel, creating millions of new technology jobs that companies are eager to fill. By 2020 there will be a shortage of 1 million more tech jobs than computer science grads.
We can be the bridge. We can help this generation gain the skill to fill these jobs and enjoy happier, more fulfilling careers.
The Curriculum Platform Team’s primary purpose is to support the needs of Codecademy’s Curriculum Developers and the content they produce. This includes everything from developing and improving content authoring tools, to introducing new interactions to the Codecademy learning environment. Our job is to improve how we teach and support our continued expansion into new technical domains. Additionally, our work involves storing and presenting all content to the learning environment and maintaining our learner code evaluation platform.
What You'll Do
- Work on the code evaluation engine that parses and evaluates code samples submitted by our learners, millions of times every single day.
- Help design and develop our evolving content schema enabling higher touch learning experiences for our users.
- Collaborate with the Learner Experience and Curriculum Development teams to develop content API’s that make it easy to produce and consume various types of learning content.
- Build premier testing frameworks that automate code and lesson evaluation enabling the accelerated development and launching of content on the platform.
- Manage and improve our cluster that spawns over 20,000 Docker containers a day.
- Identify and resolve performance and scalability issues.
What You'll Need
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience developing server side web applications across multiple stacks. We use Ruby on Rails so that's preferred.
- Experience building software used by hundreds of thousands of concurrent users.
- A strong depth of knowledge around architecture concepts including MVC, RESTful APIs, OOP, caching strategies
- You've played an integral part in refactoring to microservice architecture before.
- Experience with NoSQL and SQL databases. We currently use a combination of Postgres, MongoDB, and Amazon Redshift.
- Experience with containerization technology (Docker, openVZ, lxc, etc.)
What Will Make You Stand Out
- Experience with ElastiCache, ElasticSearch, and Redis
- Experience authoring services in Go
- BS/MS in Computer Science or engineering
- Passion for Codecademy
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of learners with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.
Read Full Job Description