Senior Backend Engineer
ABOUT THE TEAM
theSkimm's mission is to make it easier to live a smarter life. We’re building news and information products that fit into your everyday routines, and we take a user-centric, collaborative approach while doing so. We’re best known for the Daily Skimm, an email newsletter reaching 6-Million active subscribers daily. We launched theSkimm app on iOS last year, which integrates seamlessly with your smartphone calendar to give you all the big things happening in politics, business, tech, and entertainment before and it's happening. We also launched theSkimm Studios, our in-house audio and video production team..
The tech team at theSkimm is a group of experienced, resourceful programmers who build tools throughout the tech stack, often connecting components together in innovative ways to maximize scalability and maintainability. At theSkimm, software engineers work in lockstep with product managers, designers and data analysts to devise project plans that prioritize improving our audience’s experience while balancing frequent iterations and thoughtful source code changes.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Owning the development cycle for the primary applications that power theSkimm. You’ll define new components and refine existing ones as theSkimm advances on an aggressive product roadmap
- Writing code! — business logic, request handling, multi-platform presentation, API integrations — anything necessary to turn our product dreams into realities
- Integrating data sources, including interacting with APIs, create and maintain data schemas, and store data in our databases
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- At least five years experience building robust web applications
- Familiarity supporting mobile clients through the development of internal APIs
- Preference for writing clean, simply-expressed, practically-documented code
- Along with smarts and humility, be a team player — serve as a collaborator and a mentor
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for theSkimm: a passion for our audience and mission
- Experience in the Ruby on Rails/Postgres/NGINX stack
- Experience migrating application logic to a serverless architecture
- Familiarity with AWS data services such as Redshift, Kinesis, and RDS
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance reviews aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- 'MassMutual' 401(k) program
- Free 'One Medical' Membership
- Free 'Headspace' Membership
- Subsidized family planning and fertility benefits through 'Carrot Fertility'
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered meals and drinks during our weekly "Sip’n Skimm" all-hands meeting and twice-monthly "Skimm'e A Drink!" happy hour
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY