Eight Sleep is the first sleep fitness company. At Eight Sleep we design products at the forefront of sleep innovation. Our mission is to fuel human potential through optimal sleep. We use innovative technology, detailed design, and proven science and data to personalize and improve each night for everybody—changing the way people sleep forever and for better.
Backed by leading Silicon Valley investors including Founders Fund, Khosla Ventures and Y Combinator, we’ve raised 68 million to date. We were recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in Consumer Electronics in 2018.
Our temperature-regulated smart bed, the Pod is an absolute game changer, improving people's health and happiness by changing the way they sleep. It was named one of Time Magazine’s Best Inventions of 2019. We’re excited by the recognition and still have a long way to go toward achieving our mission.
That's why we are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to help us expand our product features and our capability to scale. We have distributed back-end systems responsible for critical business logic as well as bridging communications / data flows between our embedded, machine learning, mobile, and business intelligence systems.
We are seeking someone who is passionate about designing, implementing, and supporting expanding distributed systems and appreciating the impact they have on all aspects of the member experience. We look for people who dig under the hood and understand what the technology is doing, so we can make wise decisions about how our technology should evolve.
How you'll contribute:
- Partner with designers, product managers, and engineers to build the first-ever sleep fitness solution
- Collaborate with all other software engineering teams, evolving back-end in conjunction with other systems
- Build critical features such as controlling bed temperature based on member settings and live reactions to member behavior
- Work on increasing reliability, testability, and scalability of our systems
- Ensure velocity and quality through design, processes, and tools in a CI/CD environment
- Own and proactively support what you put into production
What you'll need to succeed:
- Bachelors in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 7+ years experience building back-end systems with high level of ownership
- An excellent understanding of software engineering fundamentals and best practices
- Desire to work on-site at our office in Flatiron
- Experience dealing with production systems at scale dealing with streaming data / processes and large amounts of data
- Experience working with cloud-hosted systems (AWS preferred)
- Proficiency in C#, Node with Typescript, SQL, and NoSQL
- Experience with C, C++, Rust, and embedded programming
- Experience in the healthcare, wellness, and/or eCommerce / retail company or have familiarity with health data and eCommerce trends and best practices
Why you'll love Eight Sleep:
- We’re a tight-knit, passionate team that’s working to improve people’s lives by improving the way they sleep
- Leadership is committed to employees’ wellness and career development
- You’ll get a better night sleep every night; all full-time employees receive the Pod
- Unlimited PTO
- 100% employer contribution for medical/dental/vision insurance
- Discounted gym memberships, commuter benefits
- Weekly team happy hours and lunches
- Office snacks
At Eight Sleep we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our values by ensuring everyone feels they can flourish and grow. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.