Citizen is the No. 1 public safety app in the U.S., with a mission to make the world a safer place. Citizen provides 911 alerts so people can use their phones to keep themselves, and the people and places they love, safe. Citizen has notified people to evacuate burning buildings, deterred school buses from nearby terrorist attacks, and led to the rescue of kidnapped children and missing people.
Citizen’s 911 alerts are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content so app users never have to wonder why there are helicopters overhead or fire engines flying by. We act fast, break news, and give people the immediate information they need to stay safe. And we’re just getting started.
Already relied on by millions of people every day, Citizen will expand even further across the United States this year to keep more users safe and informed. We’re looking for hardworking, mission-driven individuals to help bring Citizen to hundreds of cities nationwide.
Citizen is backed by Sequoia Capital, 8VC, Founders Fund, Goodwater Capital, and Greycroft and has raised tens of millions in VC funding.
- Work as an architect and developer, designing and building our systems for scale, modularity, and flexibility without compromising on reliability.
- Deliver backend systems with attention to high availability, low latency, and scalability.
- Build and operate infrastructure, toolset, and deployment pipelines.
- Take operational responsibility for the services we build.
- Work with proven open-source tools, rather than bespoke custom implementations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 5+ years engineering experience, focusing primarily on backend development.
- Hands-on experience with some of the following: video streaming; scalable SQL; tuning distributed systems; devops at scale.
- Experience with large code bases in systems languages like C, Go, Java, Python, etc.
- Enjoys teaching and collaborating with others.
Citizen is a fully-distributed team that offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, company holidays, stock options, and various wellness perks.
Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.