Senior Backend Engineer at theSkimm
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
We’re looking for an experienced mentor and leader to join theSkimm's Tech team as a Senior Engineer (Backend). Our mission is to enable our partners across theSkimm, from Editorial and Audio to Marketing and Advertising, to achieve their goals with the best systems and processes we can offer. We build tools throughout the stack, share knowledge across departments, and learn quickly so we can take best advantage of what’s coming.
Reporting to the Director of Backend Engineering, you’ll be responsible for designing and building our core APIs and infrastructure, which support all our products and services across several platforms. You’ll help set the direction of our technical decisions, and lead engineering squads as they develop and refine our systems. You’ll collaborate closely with our Frontend, Mobile and Data teams, as well as our Operations, Editorial, and Marketing teams who leverage the data and services you will create.
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- 4 or more years of industry experience building scalable, secure and resilient API endpoints and databases
- Experience with CI/CD techniques and tools, including CircleCI, GitHub Actions, and the related processes that support them
- Familiarity with container architectures, particularly Kubernetes
- Familiarity with key components of the AWS suite of tools (EC2, RDS, S3, CloudFront, Route 53, and others)
- Eagerness and ability to learn new technologies / libraries / approaches quickly
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, and high-growth environment
- Facility in presenting and discussing the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- Demonstrated experience mentoring other developers, including reviewing code contributions for clarity and efficiency, and giving constructive, supportive feedback
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Demonstrated experience with Ruby on Rails and Python
- Experience in content delivery architectures and related businesses
- Experience in securing and managing sensitive data and PII
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for theSkimm: a passion for our audience and mission
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches and monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches and a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.