Hi, we're Brigit! A financial health app for the everyday American. By using cash flow data to automate finances, not only do we help people today, but also empower them to start saving for tomorrow. Brigit analyzes data from billions of individual bank transactions and formulates a deep understanding of each member’s cash-flow mismatches and spending habits. Using that data, we're able to send no-fee predictive advances and help millions of Americans avoid late payment fees, predatory overdraft fees, and interest rates. Our initial product is focused on disrupting the predatory $44 Billion payday loan and overdraft market and our future products will continue to empower and improve the lives of over 100M underserved Americans.
Brigit is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to help us scale our next-gen consumer finance platform to millions of users in the next year. Our product has tremendous traction helping low income Americans make ends meet and now is the time to scale. We’ve built a stack of Java microservices in Google Cloud which has served us well thus far, but we need help in making it even better.
Our team has two main goals:
1) Feature development supporting numerous external and internal applications. The next generation of our product may look nothing like what it does today - and we welcome that! The degree to which we implement new User flows, compute our proprietary algorithms, integrate with 3rd party APIs, store data, and serve traffic will make or break our success.
2) Scalability of our customer facing applications. Growing from 100k users to 10 million presents unique technical challenges. Because we’re growing so quickly, the efficiency and reliability of both our customer facing and internal tools needs to improve. We have fun Data Engineering tasks, automation procedures, CICD enhancements, and availability/monitoring problems to tackle.
Our team is small and nimble; you'll get an extraordinary amount of autonomy and ownership. More importantly, you have a large say in the direction of the company -- both in terms of our technology and our product. Recent accomplishments of our team are:
* Building a Payments API platform that moves millions of dollars on a daily basis
* Implementing the advanced mathematical processes behind our proprietary risk algorithm
* Normalizing relational database schema to optimize for performance for over 1 million users.
* End to end User notification (via SMS, Email, Push) capabilities
* Building internal tools that enable our Customer Support Specialists to help our customers ASAP
One of our greatest strengths is the speed with which we can move. If you want to propose a new way of doing things, we are all ears. If you have an idea for a new feature, we'll be open to it. A new design paradigm? Bring it on.
At Brigit you can enjoy a mature CICD platform with automated deployment processes, an easy-to-use local/staging/production development environment, and teammates willing to fill in the gaps. We automate manual things so we can focus on thinking and building something that helps people.
What You Have
- 4+ years of industry Java experience in full time or internship roles
- REST and RPC API development experience
- Kubernetes, Docker or other container system experience is a plus
- Google Cloud experience is a plus
- Some quantitative skills, knowledge or experience in Finance is a plus
- You are a self-starter, self-motivated, are able to work independently and manage multiple projects under minimal supervision
- Vastly experienced with SQL databases, constructing schemas, performing migrations, and writing analytical queries
What You'll Be Doing
- Reinventing the APIs supporting User flows to ensure a great user experience
- Optimizing queries and relational database schema to ensure speedy response times
- Implementing algorithms related to monetary transaction evaluation, risk management, income verification, and other predictive models
- Converting some of our existing services to the next level by being highly available
- Integrating with new 3rd party APIs to serve millions of customers
- Decreasing our customer service workload by building improvements to the product or improving our internal automations
We're backed by leading VC's, including DCM, Canaan Partners, NYCA, and a number of the world's most influential social impact investors. If autonomy, ownership, and having meaningful input in the company you work for is important to you, come join our growing team!
Our Benefits & Team
-Competitive compensation package with stock options at a high-growth startup
-Day 1 benefit coverage for health, dental, and vision
-Offer competitive paid parental leave policy
-Dog friendly office
-Employee wellness initiatives
At Brigit, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Read Full Job Description