Block is a renovation platform transforming the $400 billion renovation industry. Today, doing a home renovation is an abysmal consumer experience and not easy for contractors either. Block democratizes access to high-end design, while combining design, construction, and materials into a streamlined experience. Block simplifies a complex and convoluted process and gives homeowners certainty on outcomes, quality, price, and time.
Our mission is to give homeowners a better way to improve the spaces they live in, and to give contractors a better way to work. We are building an ambitious, tenacious, and creative team who is unafraid of tackling new challenges. The founders are former leaders at Casper, HuffPost, and Rent the Runway. Investors include New Enterprise Associates, Lerer Hippeau Ventures, Obvious Ventures, and more.
We are building an ambitious technical organization and looking for product engineers across backend, frontend, full-stack and mobile focuses to contribute to our mission. We’re a remote-friendly and distributed team with individuals living in 5 metropolitan areas in two countries (and time-zones).
You will work with our engineering team in a low-tech-debt, high-velocity environment to develop our home renovation platform. You will architect, collaborate on, and contribute to software that facilitates end-to-end renovations in a historically analog industry. This will require forward-thinking, elegant solutions for complex processes.
As an early contributor, you will help drive key decisions about the technologies, tools, and best practices we adopt into our engineering culture. You’ll deliver the best experience possible for our clients while ensuring high standards of code quality and system reliability. Your work will make a tangible impact on the lives of design and construction professionals along with people and their homes.
- Architect and build innovative, user-friendly web applications for the renovation process
- Help set and uphold high standards for code quality, test coverage, and platform stability
- Set and measure code performance objectives
- Collaborate on new ideas to rapidly create and test prototypes
- Work alongside engineering, product, design, and business counterparts
- Continually improve the engineering team as a whole through thoughtful code review and design doc feedback
- Make good, informed decisions around technical debt, 3rd party tools, and tradeoffs rather than reinventing the wheel
- Iterate on internal processes to help the team achieve more with less
- 5+ years experience developing and maintaining backend systems (Node.js environment preferred)
- Proficiency in designing and building GraphQL APIs, and optimizing their performance
- Familiarity with PostgreSQL (or other comparable RDBMS)
- Experience working with AWS technologies preferred
- Highly ambitious and goal-oriented
- Able to build for long term, but also able to find efficient short-term solutions
- Earn equity in an early stage high-growth company
- 100% subsidized health insurance, dental coverage, vision coverage
- 12 weeks universal fully paid family leave
- Flexible paid vacation days and company holidays
- 401k retirement savings plan
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount on renovation services
- Working alongside an ambitious, kind, no-drama team
- Force simplicity
- Problems are our fuel
- Collaborate with tenacity and humility
- Save money where we should
- Speed is our advantage
Read Full Job Description