Senior Backend Software Engineer
Stash is a digital-first financial services company committed to making saving and investing accessible to everyone. By breaking down barriers and building transparent, technology-driven products, we help the 99% build smarter financial habits so they can confidently save more, grow wealth, and enjoy life.
Our team is looking for a Senior Software Engineer with a passion for building reliable, scalable, and performant software to power the Stash experience. We’ve had tremendous growth in the past two years and have an exciting product roadmap ahead of us. If you’re interested in solving complex problems associated with scaling a popular consumer facing application and working in an open, diverse, and inclusive environment, Stash might be the fit for you!
What you'll do:
- Architect, design, and implement backend services, including the core API that powers our mobile apps, and our backend data processing and trading systems
- Partner with the product team to come up with new features and products
- Own the end to end delivery of software components from inception to production
- Work in a cross-functional agile team to deliver working software incrementally
- Instrument, test, profile, and code review software
- Continuously deploy to our cloud-based infrastructure
- Scale software infrastructure for a quickly-growing user base
What we're looking for:
- 5+ years of professional experience building consumer-facing software
- BS/MS in Computer Science or relevant industry experience
- An experienced engineer who can turn ideas into reliable code that others find easy to understand and modify
- Experience building backend RESTful APIs
- Creative problem solver with a passion for testing, debugging, and overall code quality
- Data-driven decision maker, willing to take risks, fail fast, and iterate quickly
- A keen understanding of testing best practices (TDD is a plus!)
- Experience building an application at scale
- Experience transitioning monolithic systems to microservice-based systems
- Familiarity with or interest in our stack Ruby on Rails, Scala, Sidekiq, Heroku, Postgres, Redis, AWS S3/Elastic Beanstalk
We believe that diversity and inclusion are essential to living our values, promoting innovation, and building the best products out there. Our success is directly related to the employees that we hire, grow and retain and we believe that our team should reflect the diversity of the customers that we serve.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Stash is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by law. Everyone is encouraged to apply.
Benefits & Perks:
- Equity in Stash
- Flexible Vacation
- Family-Friendly Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance Plans
- Learning & Development Stipend
- Commuter Benefits and Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employee referral bonuses
- Stocked fridges & kitchens and catered lunch on Fridays
- Thursday happy hours
- Team outings that do not involve trust falls...
Awards & Recognition:
- Forbes Fintech 50 (2019)
- LendIt Fintech Innovator of the Year (2019)
- Built in NYC's Best Places to work (2019)
- Built in NYC’s Startups to Watch (2018)
- Wall Street Journal's "Top 25 Tech Companies To Watch" (2018)
- MarCom Awards Double Gold & Platinum Winner (2018)
- Webby Award Winner for Best Mobile Sites & Apps in the Financial Services and Banking category (2017)
- W3 Awards Winner for Best User Experience (2017)
**No recruiters, please.