Senior Backend Software Engineer at Namely
Namely is seeking a talented Senior Backend Software Engineer to join our growing team in New York City. As a Senior Backend Software Engineer you will lead by example in the design and implementation of major features and components of the Namely platform.
Our hiring process is language agnostic, we use a diverse set of tools and languages such as Ruby, C#, Go, Docker, Kubernetes, Istio, Spinnaker, Kafka and more. We work with React and SPA’s in the front-end, and are moving towards an API driven architecture, powered by gRPC-based services.
We’ve built a strong engineering team to date, but have a lot of work ahead of us, including:
- Migrating from a monolith to a microservice architecture, including a complete overhaul and rewrite of our Payroll Processing and Benefits Configuration
- Defining domain boundaries and implementing robust APIs for internal and public consumption of our Human Capital Management (HCM) services
- Leveling up our platform, including enhancing our test coverage, observability, alerting, and performance
Help us scale our business to meet the needs of our growing customer base and develop new products on the Namely platform. You'll be a critical part of our growing company, leading the way to implement best practices in technology, architecture, and process. You’ll have the chance to work in an open and collaborative environment, receive hands-on mentorship and have ample opportunities to grow and accelerate your career.
- Design, create and own high quality, scalable and heavily tested software across our stack
- Evolve our systems through solid architectural design and driving best practices through code review
- Provide technical mentorship to engineers across our organization
- Work on a cross-functional team(s), partnering across engineering, product, design, and business functions
- 7+ years experience designing, building, shipping and maintaining distributed web applications and services.
- Solid CS fundamentals with experience across a range of disciplines, with one or more area of deep knowledge and experience.
- Extensive experience building and owning, large scale distributed backend systems.
- Proven track record of senior technical leadership at a company with a strong engineering culture.
- Fluency in one or more server-side programming languages (e.g. Ruby, Go, C#). The team you will be joining is maintaining a Ruby application, therefore previous experience with Ruby is required.
- Analytical mindset and an ability to identify and weigh architectural design tradeoffs
- Working knowledge of relational databases and schema design principles
- Motivated, self-starter that is able to work both independently and in cooperation with a larger team
- Experience with Kafka or equivalent messaging bus
Namely is the first HR, payroll, and benefits platform employees actually love to use. People are at the center of everything we do—from our platform to our staff. Why join us? We believe every company and every employee deserves a great workplace, supported by HR technology they use and love. Most importantly, we believe in giving you the tools you need to do the best work of your career.
We invite you to fill out the EEO survey below as part of our ongoing diversity initiatives at Namely. Your participation in the survey is completely optional and voluntary, and none of the information you provide will be considered in the hiring process or with respect to any employment decision made by Namely. Namely will have access only to anonymized data submitted through these surveys.