Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.We want people who are passionate about designing and operating secure systems at scale.
We are looking for an empathetic engineer who is familiar with some (not all) of our stack and tools, has a willingness and aptitude to grow into the role, is comfortable working remotely, and is excited by the idea of contributing to open source projects and our mission to create simple, yet powerful, foundations (with 💕) from which our community can build. Reporting to the Engineering Manager of Virtualization, the Senior Software Engineer will help us upgrade our Chef infrastructure, automate away engineering toil, and improve our speed of delivery.
Our Stack: C, Chef, Docker, Go, libvirt, Linux, K8s, KVM, OVS, Python, Ruby, QEMU
Our Tools: Concourse, Elasticsearch, GSuite, Jira, Prometheus, Slack
Our Team: The larger team, supported by the Director of Systems, is currently made up of a diverse group of about thirty engineers located across the US, Canada, and Germany. The Virtualization Stack and Virtualization Tooling sub-teams, supported by the Engineering Manager of Virtualization, accounts for approximately one-third of the Systems team.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Helping drive the upgrade of our Chef infrastructure (12->14), clients (12->16), & cookbooks
- Improvements to our packaging and software delivery processes
- Improvements to our monitoring, alerting, and tooling
- Development of tooling and automation to reduce engineering toil
- 5-20% of your time is spent on innovation, education, and/or open source
- Technical leadership experience (preferably in the configuration management space)
- Experience as a developer / engineer in a large scale, distributed environment
- Experience writing secure, testable and robust code
- Deep understanding of Linux and configuration management
- Experience proactively addressing reliability issues across all layers of the stack
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health and a monthly internet bill reimbursement and remote workstation program to make working from home as easy and comfortable as possible.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge, Palo Alto and Bangalore, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!