Senior DevOps Engineer
What do we do?
At Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT), we’re unlocking the power of educator-created content. More than 2 out of 3 teachers in the U.S., Canada and Australia come to TpT every year to get teacher-tested, engaging, and rigorous materials. What began as a humble exchange for teachers looking to share lesson plans has since exploded into a massive marketplace where teachers have created more than 3 million resources for all aspects of PreK-12 education. More than five million educators worldwide (including teachers, administrators, and parents) have downloaded TpT resources more than a billion times. If you haven’t heard of TpT yet and want to learn more, just ask a teacher. Or try this recent article in Forbes.
As a Sr DevOps Engineer you will have the opportunity to build and maintain the foundation on which TpT is built. We are looking for individuals who are highly curious, passionate about infrastructure and wish to improve the lives of educators across the globe.
From day one you’ll be working at scale; our highly engaged user base includes over four million teachers and educators from around the world. As we grow our product you’ll take the initiative to design and implement simple, elegant solutions to our growing infrastructure needs.
In this role, you will:
- Collaboratively create distributed systems that respond automatically to changes in load and unexpected events
- Create reproducible infrastructure via a variety of modern technologies such as Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform, Packer, and Chef
- Systematically identify and fix performance bottlenecks within the application, database, OS, and network levels
- Optimize end user performance by leveraging DNS and CDNs to minimize latency
- Create developer tooling to minimize drudgery and reduce the possibilities of errors
Qualities for a successful candidate:
- Is endlessly curious about infrastructure
- Takes a measure twice, cut once approach to changing infrastructure
- Experience with configuration management tools such as Chef, Puppet, or Ansible
- Readiness to automate processes in various languages, including PHP, Ruby, and Shell
- Experience with Linux
- 4+ years of experience in web development and operations
Extra Points for:
- Being an active contributor to the open source community
- Experience with containers
- Knowledge of Ed-Tech