Senior Director, Developer Experience - Platform at Peloton
Platform at Peloton is a force-multiplier that enables Peloton to move faster and scale safely, with minimal effort. Core to this mission is creation of the best developer experience in the tech industry--for the entire spectrum of Peloton's technology: IoT, firmware, web, apps, backend, messaging, content, data, and machine learning. We get to apply these to create a platform of products loved by millions of customers all over the world.
This is a first-ever opportunity at Peloton. You will build and lead a fully-fledged developer experience organization. This not only includes developer tooling, CI/CD/gitops, discovery and documentation-as-code, and tech learning; it also includes custodianship of our frameworks for development across our entire tech stack. Imagine a world where discovery of services and up-to-date documentation is instantaneous as Google Search; where rate-limiting, observability, tracing, cost tagging and more are "batteries included". Where infrastructure is declared and deployment is not only push-button, but includes automated canary analysis, auto-sizing, and auto-scaling. Imagine the enjoyment of building this in partnership with others in the open source community (including the CNCF) as well as with engineering stakeholders across all of Peloton.
Reporting to the VP of Platform, this is both a technology leadership and people leadership role. You will bring (and implement) your vision and build a growing engineering organization spanning multiple disciplines and domains. Your impact will be widely visible, across Peloton and through our involvement in the tech industry.
- Build and manage an organization of engineering teams responsible for developer tooling, CI/CD, discovery and documentation, and tech learning.
- Lead creation an extensible platform that provides the best experience across the spectrum of hardware, mobile, web, backend, data, and machine learning. You will lead
- Weave their work together enabling each to build upon each other to deliver a better and better developer experience
- Partner closely with Recruiting to identify and hire strong candidates from diverse backgrounds.
- Motivate and drive a continuous performance-based culture within the organization. Provide adequate management support for the team in the form of team meetings, 1:1s, and other forums as needed to support the group and individual development objectives of team members and managers.
- Coach and mentor team members. Foster their career growth through setting objectives, regular feedback, and sharing best practices.
- Lead by example to actively build and maintain a culture of learning, respect, transparency, and trust.
- Partner with others (engineering and product teams across Peloton and leaders in industry) to define what true developer productivity is, what constitutes a great developer platform at speed and scale, and how to bring this to practice.
- Collaborate cross functionally with Engineering, Product, Product Analytics, Program Management, and others to develop short- and long-term roadmaps and execution plans.
- Handle planning and breaking down large projects; Manage program and project risks appropriately; Identify and mitigate internal and cross-functional dependencies and blockers.
Provide Technology Leadership
- Identify and drive the adoption of newly emerging industry best practices, technologies, architecture, and skill sets needed to create the best developer experience in the industry.
- Drive technical decision making through objectively assessing trade offs based on architecture, scope, complexity, business priorities, and impact to developer experience at Peloton
- Leverage a strong technical foundation and experience to provide appropriate guidance to a growing organization, multi-disciplined teams of managers, engineers, instructors, and tech writers to ensure delivery of sound technology and continuing development of their careers.
Above all else, we are looking for someone who is genuinely interested in developer experience and is passionate about how our Platform can provide the best developer experience in the tech industry:
- You have been experienced in defining and driving product strategy across multiple teams and domains with success in the past. You have build teams at times of rapid growth and led multi-level organizations consisting of multiple engineering teams.
- You have several years of experience leading teams to implement technology that simplifies the developer journey from idea to production and have domain knowledge in developer tools, CI, documentation, technology learning, and open source.
- You are able to be the spokesperson and drive developer experience topics across all of our communities: internal, open source, and technology vendors. You are equally comfortable and effective communicating with business and deeply technical stakeholders.
- You are an excellent communicator and storyteller, communicating concepts and ideas in different formats, depending on context. You can receive feedback while being assertive when needed. You know how to influence decision-making at all levels within an organization, using a variety of evidence and communication styles.
- You also have experience in leading, growing and up-skilling direct and indirect reports. You set high standards for yourself and others and are able to help others meet these with a servant leader style and growth mindset.
- You are experienced with data-driven product development but are also equally comfortable working with ambiguity and are able to combine data and intuition to achieve results.
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, and streaming technology, we create digital fitness and wellness content and products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Peloton is an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you would like to request any accommodations from application through to interview, please email: [email protected]
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Peloton does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Peloton recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be from an @onepeloton.com email address.
If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email, letter or telephone communication purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Peloton, please email [email protected] before taking any further action in relation to the correspondence.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.