Senior Director of Engineering
Here at Grubhub we’ve been dedicated to giving diners the most convenient way to order food from their favorite restaurants (whether that’s a late night Chalupa from Taco Bell or a salad for lunch from a local restaurant the day after they enjoyed said late night Chalupa).
While we are food-obsessed, we are also customer-obsessed. We look to constantly innovate our technology so our diners’ food experience is memorable, restaurant owners get more business and individuals across the country looking for part-time work can deliver the food from the restaurant to the diner flawlessly. We take great pride in knowing that we are a part of 17+ million diners food ordering experience and we are partnered with 105,000 restaurants in 2,000 US cities across our suite of apps (Grubhub, LevelUp, Seamless, Tapingo, Eat24).
Want to be a part of the biggest movement in the US that is moving eating forward? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
The Sr. Director of eCommerce Apps is responsible for delivering high quality and best class apps to our diners. This includes the IOS and Android experiences, as well as Web and Mobile web. In this role, you will need to provide a strategy for delivering a unified experience across all channels using engineering best practices. This includes directing all engineering efforts to meet product requirements, support, monitoring, and iterative improvement of existing applications, strategic development of new application solutions when necessary and the high-level architecture and detailed design on the implementation and delivery of application components. You will need to work with design and product to understand the long term goal of our experience and ensure an engineering process will get us there.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Lead the strategy for the application platforms
- Makes independent decisions on architectural problems and methods.
- Performs assignments that may require the development of new or improved architectural techniques and procedures. Applies skills to minimize risks and vulnerabilities and seeks means to improve developer productivity and application performance.
- Identifies, evaluates, and implements solutions using application best practices, current architectures, and technologies to meet current and future needs
- Leads the technology conversation in a cross-functional team to translate product, design & business requirements into well-realized deliverable
- Recommends new technology directions or options to maintain high engineering standards and developer efficiencies
- Prepares, documents and executes high-level application architecture plans
Track, analyze and monitor web application performance metrics across the user experience
- Manage discreet application development teams to meet the needs of business needs at the appropriate levels of sourcing
- Manage team members under their purview, including resource performance review management, career development, and conflict mitigation
You Should Have
- Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or similar relevant field
10+ years of working experience in web application experience
Demonstrable experience developing web application software, especially high volume e-commerce systems
Experience of communicating technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders
Experience building effective relationships with technical, product, & design peers
Expertise in engineering web application systems architecture, especially high volume consumer facing applications
Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple priorities and projects
Outstanding communication, interpersonal and leadership skills
Ability to coach and mentor team members
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. It’s true, no strings attached and all the time you need to recharge.
- PTO. It’s true, we provide you a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Better Benefits. Get quality insurance, flex-spending accounts, retirement options and commuter perks.
- Free Food. Kitchens are stocked and free Grubhub each week.
- Stock Up. All of our employees are owners, in fact, they’re granted Restricted Stock Units, which means we’re all in it to win it.
- Casual Culture. Catch rays on the rooftop or get comfy on a couch and get to know your coworkers — because work, should be a place you want to be.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.