Senior Engineer (Backend)
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
We’re looking for an experienced mentor and leader to join theSkimm's Tech team as a Senior Engineer (Backend). Our mission is to enable our partners across theSkimm, from Editorial and Audio to Marketing and Advertising, to achieve their goals with the best systems and processes we can offer. We build tools throughout the stack, share knowledge across departments, and learn quickly so we can take best advantage of what’s coming.
Reporting to the Director of Backend Engineering, you’ll be responsible for designing and building our core APIs and infrastructure, which support all our products and services across several platforms. You’ll help set the direction of our technical decisions, and lead engineering squads as they develop and refine our systems. You’ll collaborate closely with our Frontend, Mobile and Data teams, as well as our Operations, Editorial, and Marketing teams who leverage the data and services you will create.
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- 4 or more years of industry experience building scalable, secure and resilient API endpoints and databases
- Experience with CI/CD techniques and tools, including CircleCI, GitHub Actions, and the related processes that support them
- Familiarity with container architectures, particularly Kubernetes
- Familiarity with key components of the AWS suite of tools (EC2, RDS, S3, CloudFront, Route 53, and others)
- Eagerness and ability to learn new technologies / libraries / approaches quickly
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, and high-growth environment
- Facility in presenting and discussing the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- Demonstrated experience mentoring other developers, including reviewing code contributions for clarity and efficiency, and giving constructive, supportive feedback
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Demonstrated experience with Ruby on Rails and Python
- Experience in content delivery architectures and related businesses
- Experience in securing and managing sensitive data and PII
- A history of leading and guiding high-performing technical teams
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for theSkimm: a passion for our audience and mission
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Equity for all employees
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- 'MassMutual' 401(k) program
- Free 'One Medical' Membership
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Subsidized family planning and fertility benefits through 'Carrot Fertility'
- Catered meals and drinks during our weekly "Sip’n Skimm" all-hands meeting and twice-monthly "Skimm'e A Drink!" happy hour
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine, and a pretty sweet roof deck
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY