Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love
DigitalOcean’s Managed Storage Products Team builds and runs cloud-scale distributed systems powering internal and customer-facing services and products. We’re creating flexible and powerful solutions that our customers will leverage to ship their software as quickly and easily as possible. We’re looking for engineers responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance of products including CDN, Database-as-a-Service, as well as the APIs and middleware used to power DigitalOcean’s Spaces and Volumes storage offerings.
We are looking for an experienced engineer to work on a small team focused on Database-as-a-Service products. This role reports to the Engineering Manager of the Managed Storage Products team within the Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) organization. As a member of this team, you will have the opportunity to work remotely within Canada and the United States or from our offices in NYC, Cambridge, MA and Palo Alto, CA.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Participating in development of Managed Database products
- Working on technically challenging distributed systems
- Collaborating with an agile and autonomous team of peers
- Leveraging interesting technologies such as Go, Kubernetes, Kafka, and more
- Integrating with many components across the DigitalOcean stack
- Evangelizing the work of the team with Engineering, Product, Design, and beyond
- A solid understanding of distributed systems
- Production development experience in Go at a similar size and scale (highly desired)
- Proficiency in at least one of the following languages: C/C++, Java, Python, Ruby, and/or Perl
- A strong background and exposure to a variety of databases and specifically NoSQL systems (MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis)
- Working knowledge of microservices using Docker and Kubernetes
- Familiarity with prevalent message bus and queuing technologies (Kafka, RabbitMQ)
- Passion for creating simple and complete solutions
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to collaborate and demonstrate empathy with key stakeholders
- Love writing and improving code with an emphasis on testing and maintainability
- Work well in a small team and able to balance and prioritize projects and requests
- A positive energy and passion for delighting customers
- Demonstrated ability to work at multiple levels of the stack in a fast-paced startup environment
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
*This position may be done in NYC or Remote (but not in CO due to local CO job posting requirements)
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!