Senior Engineer - Delivery Services at Grubhub
About The Opportunity
Here at Grubhub we’ve been dedicated to giving diners the most convenient way to order food from their favorite restaurants (whether that’s a late night Chalupa from Taco Bell or a salad for lunch from a local restaurant the day after they enjoyed said late night Chalupa).
While we are food-obsessed, we are also customer-obsessed. We look to constantly innovate our technology so our diners’ food experience is memorable, restaurant owners get more business and individuals across the country looking for work can deliver the food from the restaurant to the diner flawlessly. We take great pride in knowing that we are a part of 21.2 million diners food ordering experience and we are partnered with 160,000 restaurants in 2,700 US cities across our suite of apps (Grubhub, LevelUp, Seamless, Tapingo, AllMenus and MenuPages).
Want to be a part of the biggest movement in the US that is moving eating forward? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
As a Senior Engineer at Grubhub, you will be responsible for building and maintaining the services and features required to help Grubhub continue to scale. We are looking for a leader who is interested in getting their hands dirty in the architecture and design of our delivery systems and is comfortable taking the state-of-the art research to practice. Our Delivery systems are a mix of high scale and high intelligence. As such, our products require collaboration between engineers, decision scientists, data analysts, a proven operations team, and a product team that’s thinking end-to-end.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Provide input to shape the charter and structure of the delivery department
- Help lead Grubhub’s continued expansion into delivery by further scaling our systems and teams
- Help improve and mature the Delivery APIs and Order Tracking systems of Grubhub.
- Help extend the effectiveness of the current team through coaching and mentoring
- Break down complex projects into smaller manageable parts of elegant technical solutions
- Work with product and operations leaders to understand the needs of our business and our customers and provide solutions for those needs.
- Design extensible software architectures that allow GrubHub to be agile and react to changes quickly.
- Design reliable software and processes that allow GrubHub to offer a high-quality experience. Deal with edge cases gracefully and put processes in place to ensure we do everything we can to provide a great experience for each customer.
- Actively contribute to the adoption of strong software architecture, development best practices, and new technologies. Be an engineering thought leader within your team and the organization.
- Work with our SRE team to operationalize Delivery systems (early warning, insight, and recovery)
You Should Have
- 5+ years experience building highly-scalable applications (delivery or real-time logistics preferred)
- Java, C#, C++, Go, or a similar modern object-oriented language
- Experience architecting, designing and developing testable, fault tolerant, and performant software
- AWS experience, or similar cloud-based offerings
- Automated testing experience applicable for services (Junit/testing, Mockito + Jmeter/Gatling.io)
- Familiarity with eventually consistent databases (Cassandra/MongoDB/CouchDB), distributed and or relational databases is desired
- Familiarity or experience with linear optimization, analytical models or machine learning will be a strong plus
- Familiarity with shortest path finding, routing, capacity management, forecasting, and time estimation algorithms and techniques a major plus.
- Direct experience with local delivery, automated dispatch, routing, or real-time logistics
- Ability to collaborate with C-level executives and across broad organizations including product, operations, finance and care
- Demonstrated experience launching new products in high growth markets
- Familiarity and comfort with data, including the ability to use data to analyze and monitor product health, set
- Ability to weigh competing priorities, manage tradeoffs and evaluate opportunistic new ideas with stakeholders, driving to consensus while maintaining a clear focus on overarching technical architecture.
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited PTO. It’s true, no strings attached and all the time you need to recharge.
- Better Benefits. Get quality insurance, flex-spending accounts, retirement options and commuter perks.
- Free Food. Kitchens are stocked and free Grubhub each week.
- Stock Up. All of our employees are owners, in fact, they’re granted Restricted Stock Units, which means we’re all in it to win it.
- Casual Culture. Catch rays on the rooftop or get comfy on a couch and get to know your coworkers — because work, should be a place you want to be.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.