Senior Engineer I (Managed Databases - DBaaS) at DigitalOcean
Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.We want people who are passionate about building features that you and your peers will love
DigitalOcean’s Managed Databases Team builds and runs cloud-scale distributed systems powering internal and customer-facing services and products. We’re creating flexible and powerful solutions that our customers will leverage to ship their software as quickly and easily as possible. We’re looking for engineers responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance of products including Database-as-a-Service, particularly in the areas of NoSQL.
We are looking for an experienced engineer to work on a small team focused on Database-as-a-Service products. This role reports to the Engineering Manager of the Managed Databases team within the Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) organization within Engineering.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Participating in development of external customer-facing Managed Database products, with an affinity for NoSQL technologies
- Working on technically challenging distributed systems
- Collaborating with an agile, self-managed team of peers
- Leveraging interesting technologies such as Go, Docker, Kafka, and more
- Integrating with many components across the DigitalOcean stack
- Evangelizing the work of the team with Engineering, Product, Design, and beyond
- Multiple years of production engineering experience operating NoSQL backends
- A solid understanding of building and maintaining distributed systems
- A desire in the area of resilience engineering, fault tolerance, and failure domains as they relate to database backends
- Proficiency in at least one of the following languages: C/C++, Java, Python, Ruby, Perl, or Go. Golang is preferred as it is used very widely among DigitalOcean engineering teams.
- Working knowledge of microservices using container workload engines and frameworks such as Docker and Kubernetes
- A strong background and exposure to different databases, specifically NoSQL systems
- Familiarity with prevalent message bus and queuing technologies (Kafka, RabbitMQ)
- Passion for a simple but delightful user experience and ability to work closely with front-end developers
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to collaborate and demonstrate empathy with key stakeholders, both spoken and written
- Love writing new and improving existing code with an strong emphasis on testing and maintainability
- Work well in a small team and able to balance and prioritize projects and requests
- A positive energy and passion for delighting customers
- Demonstrated ability to work at multiple levels of the stack
- Ideal hire locations for this role include US/CA/DE/NL/IN
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC and Cambridge, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!