Senior Engineer: Load Balancers at DigitalOcean
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about creating products that you and your peers would love.
We are looking for an experienced software engineer that can make a significant contribution to the development of next generation Load Balancers with high availability and proper distribution of loads of traffic. The software you write will drive and enable functionality on thousands of load balancers deployed by our customers. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the Senior Software Engineer will lead the design, development and deployment of new services and products.What You'll Be Doing:
- Design, implementation, test and optimization of new services that run at scale and solve challenging distributed coordination problems.
- Work with other teams within the vertical and across the company to build the next generation of products and services for our developers community.
- Support existing products and contribute creative solutions to the pain points.
- Help improve our toolings and process to ship robust and mission-critical parts of the ecosystem.
- Use technologies and tools such as: Kubernetes, Go, Consul, Kafka, SQL, Chef, Git, Jira, Sentry, Prometheus, Lightstep, Docker and what not?
- Significant experience as a software developer in building scalable, real-time and distributed systems used by thousands of users
- Significant experience with Go, C, C++ or Java programming languages and unit tests
- Experience with the development of distributed services targeting Kubernetes
- Proficient with Kubernetes' internal architecture and operations, knowledge of container technologies and the tools and challenges around them
- Proficient with networking in Kubernetes, monitoring and logging
- Experience with cloud development, containerization and virtualization
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Delivery (CI/CD)
- Solid understanding of application networking fundamentals
- Record of creating sweeping improvements in stability, performance and scalability across major business-critical systems
- Record of automating the steps necessary to deliver high-quality, well-tested, and production-ready software from initial development to ongoing, scalable, production operation.
- Bonus: You have used gRPC to build robust distributed and high-demand systems
- Bonus: ability to design and implement end-to-end container management solution with Kubernetes.
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!