Senior Engineer: Platform Core
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the Cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about creating experiences that you and your peers will love.
The Platform Core team owns and operates an internal platform for deploying the ever growing number of microservices that make up the DigitalOcean cloud. The platform is built on top of Kubernetes and responsible for deployments large (hundreds of cores and hundreds of GB of memory) and small (fractions of a cpu and MB of memory), servicing internal customers from all across the company in clusters all across the world. We internalized the DigitalOcean mission and apply that same principle of simplicity to how engineers interact with that platform.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager of the Platform Core team you will build solutions that provide DigitalOcean engineers with robust and comprehensive set of primitives for bringing a service from development to production. We believe that by providing the right set of tools and automation our engineering teams can focus on shipping innovative products to our customers faster and more reliably.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Developing, evaluating, and deploying software to provide automation and modern tooling around our internal software delivery pipeline, which consists of solving problems such as:
- Deployment, Orchestration, Secret management, Service discovery, Continuous Delivery
- Using Go and tools such as Kubernetes, Docker, and Chef
- Scaling the platform for the rapidly growing demand for it while maintaining optimal performance
- Partnering with various engineering teams to make sure that we deliver an excellent developer workflow spanning from development to production
- Participating in reviewing code, helping evaluate implementations, and providing feedback about potential improvements
What We Expect From You:
- Expertise with at least one of the programming languages such as Go, Python, C/C++, Java
- Experience with a cluster management tool (Kubernetes, Mesos, etc.)
- Experience performance tuning of a server and deploying/operating production services in a Linux environment
- You are passionate about shipping well engineered and tested code
- A desire to build systems to help your fellow engineers deliver their software to production more quickly and reliably
- Familiarity with distributed systems programming and debugging
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Infrastructure team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!