Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Team:
Our Engineering team works on product-oriented problems across the boundaries of e-commerce, mobile, analytics and shipping/fulfillment. The backbone of our business is our custom reservations management system, which gives us the crucial ability to deliver the right product to the right user at the right time - a simple goal with a complex solution. We use data, engineering and algorithms to create a personalized website and an adaptive supply chain to fulfill our commitment to an amazing customer experience.
Our Reservations Engineering Team is responsible for solving the complex problems around real-time inventory availability and predicting future inventory availability. This is a constantly evolving problem that requires consistent focus on performance and data accuracy in order to meet our customers’ expectations. This service is critical to serving real-time inventory availability data to our customers; scaling and performance optimization of this service requires tenacious attention to data modeling, caching, and query optimization. Recently, this team led the effort to open up a new and growing revenue generating resale line for our business which included developing the technical plan and executing the implementation across multiple teams and services.
About the Role:
We are looking for a software engineer with server-side and some frontend development experience to work on our core RESTful services. Our engineering team uses a microservices style architecture to power our mobile app, our website, and our warehouse technologies. In this role you will work on both new product features and technical enhancements as we believe in building for the future to enable performance and scaling. You’ll be part of the team that owns our rapidly evolving reservation system, and with it our customer promise.
What You’ll Do:
- Participate in all aspects of agile software development including design, implementation, and deployment
Develop clean, testable, scalable systems using Java, React, SpringBoot, RabbitMQ, MySQL, MongoDb, Redis, Splunk, Kafka, Kotlin and a variety of other open-source technologies
- Deliver software on a sustainable schedule that keeps work-life balance in mind
- Find architectural improvements to enable rapid growth in traffic and order volumes while continuously improving developer productivity
- Work with business stakeholders to identify software solutions to business challenges
- Mentor and learn from your teammates and foster an inclusive, empowering team dynamic
- You have a degree in computer science, software engineering or 5+ years of coding experience in Java with a practical understanding of OO design principles.
- You’ve shipped multiple large software projects and learned from the experiences
- You're able to learn new tools and technologies quickly
- You have experience working as part of an Agile software development team
- You're able to manage your time and juggle competing priorities
- You have exceptional communication skills
- You have extensive Java skills or any prior SpringBoot, RabbitMQ, MySQL are a plus
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
COVID-19 VACCINE REQUIREMENT:
RTR is requiring all US corporate employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to work in person, unless an employee requires a reasonable accommodation for medical or religious reasons. If you believe that you may require an accommodation, please apply for any roles that interest you and if hired, you will receive information on how to request a reasonable accommodation after your start date. RTR will evaluate all such requests in accordance with Company policy and applicable law.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.