Greater NYC Area
Senior Backend Engineer
Narrativ is a NYC-based tech startup that is building a better internet for shoppers. We use machine learning to connect products with all of the content created about them to answer retail’s trillion-dollar question, “what should I buy?”
With a library of more than 1 billion products matched to expert reviews from top commerce publishers like Buzzfeed, NYT Wirecutter, and Hearst, Narrativ enables retailers such as Macy's, Ulta and Dermstore to tap into $25B of annual consumer spend.
In June 2018, The World Economic Forum honored Narrativ as a Technology Pioneer for building technology to democratize commerce.
We come from Bensonhurst to Beijing and view the breadth of our team's life experiences as a core competitive advantage. Our team hails from 10 countries, has worked for the likes of Google, Glossier and McKinsey and more than one-third of Narrativ employees are first-generation college graduates.
At Narrativ, we believe in a dual track progression for Engineers, offering opportunities to advance in people management and technical contributions. This role is the first level of technical management. As such, you will be a member of one of our engineering teams, and spend 70% of your time contributing high quality code to our systems. The other 30% will be spent on technical leadership tasks like architecture design, conducting teaching sessions to share knowledge with the team, code reviews, and planning. You will be the go-to expert on your team, and will be responsible for constantly increasing the total knowledge of our organization - always learning something new or teaching something to someone else.
You will be working on a cool system, solving problems for customers at scale. We serve SmartLinks for some of the biggest publishers in the world, and our systems handle high volumes of traffic with little latency and no downtime. We embrace the philosophies of DevOps, and invest significant resources in automation and testing so that we can safely and seamlessly deploy code throughout the day. Come join us and be part of a talented, constantly improving team!
Core Responsibilities Include:
- Ensure quality by writing thorough unit, integration, and end-to-end tests
- Design and deploy automated self-healing infrastructure (Terraform, AWS)
- Support and administer a variety of stateful systems including Redshift, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, and Redis
- Implement automated system monitoring, troubleshoot and resolve system outages
- Continually work to improve team capabilities with training, documentation, code reviews, pair programming, and collaboration
- Participate in the sprint planning process
- 4+ years building backend systems in Python
- Expertise with distributed systems design and various infrastructure tools
- Ability to work independently on feature level tasks and system design
- Motivation to achieve results in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Exceptional level of organization and strong attention to detail
- Strong communication skills and drive to improve
- We offer competitive salaries and cover 100% of health, dental and vision
- We are challenging monopolies and architecting a new business model for media
- We have weekly happy hours, monthly company outings and our Slack emoji game is the best in the business
- We are committed to making a societal impact by building sustainable technology to #EndThe404 and open-sourcing many of our projects to contribute to the broader digital community
Narrativ is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.
Please, no third-party resumes for this role. Candidates submitted by agencies will not be reviewed.
Read Full Job Description