At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Do you have broad extensive knowledge of core web development technologies, a high level of empathy, and interpersonal skills to work cross-functionally? Are you skilled at grasping and communicating complex concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences? Are you able to see the bigger picture and bring people together to prioritize, craft, and achieve plans? If so, we’d love to hear from you!
Justworks is seeking a Senior Manager, Engineering to support our Benefits cluster. The Benefits cluster’s mission is to help small businesses attract and retain the talent they need to grow by enabling their employees to confidently take care of their health and wellbeing, as well as their family’s. The team you will be overseeing is responsible for accelerating the growth of one of the most integral parts of the core business including multiple product lines, services, and partnerships.
As a Senior Engineering Manager at Justworks, you will oversee a team of software engineers at all levels and will work closely with Designers and Product Managers. You will have the opportunity to interact with senior management and lead projects with company-level impact. You will be responsible for directing the work of team members and coordinating projects/prioritization to create and maintain features for our customers. While involving some hands-on coding, this job requires a strong technical background and a passion for mentoring and growing teams.Your Success ProfileWhat You Will Work On
- Work with Engineers, Designers, and Product Managers to prioritize, schedule, and execute projects so we can quickly develop and ship new features
- Align and develop product/platform roadmap in partnership with Product, Design, and other stakeholders
- Effectively embrace, communicate, and evangelize overall business strategy and direction of roadmap
- Communicate and coordinate with other teams in and out of engineering to understand the requirements and opportunities for improvement
- Create robust technical solutions for complex business challenges and improve team delivery through Agile practices
- Build relationships with peers and stakeholders to foster cross-functional/team/department collaboration
- Seek new ways to embed more inclusives practices into our business and our teams
- Help recruit, source, interview and hire for the entire engineering team
- Provide guidance, both technical and non-technical, to direct reports and leverage each individual’s strengths to optimize execution and delivery
- Ensure accountability and drive engagement by creating an environment where people are motivated to do their best to help the team meet commitments and achieve goals/objectives
As a Senior Manager of Engineering, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
- Good judgment - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
- Resourcefulness - taking a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have, whether it's working on something new or thinking about how to do something better.
- Teamwork and communication - putting our collective best together through documentation, collaboration, relationship-building, listening, empathy, recruiting, and evangelism.
- Influence and leadership - fostering a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking.
- Skills and knowledge - the capacity to actively learn and apply specific domain knowledge, know-how, and best practices to continually enhance and improve.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- 4+ years of experience successfully leading people, teams, and/or projects
- 7-10 years of professional hands-on software development experience with a solid understanding of core web development technologies. i.e. data structures, data stores, algorithms, distributed systems and common patterns around these frameworks.
- Experience working using Agile Scrum methodology in a fast-paced high-growth environment with varying deadlines and milestones
- Strong communication skills with the ability to grasp and explain complex concepts to both technical and non-technical people
- High levels of empathy and interpersonal skills
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done
- Experience proactively collaborating across different engineering teams
- ElasticSearch, Docker, InfluxDB, Redshift, Jenkins, Nagios, CircleCI, DataDog
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Our DEI Commitment