Senior Engineering Manager, Credit Decisioning Platform at Better
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better Opportunity
To help us achieve our mission, we are looking for a Senior Engineering Manager, Credit Decisioning Platform. The Credit Decisioning team has a two fold mission: to bring more certainty and transparency to how we make credit decisions (whether we lend to a borrower or not), and to make decisions faster and more efficient. The dual goal leads to faster and more transparent credit decisions for our customers. The Credit Decisions Platform is a brand new team focusing on thoughtful platformization of capabilities that power credit decisions.
In this role, you will build the strategy for platformization and grow a team that can execute on that strategy. You will partner closely with senior engineering and product leaders across the company to understand the short and long term product roadmap, anticipate the needs of our growing company and decide what platforms need to be built to support the current and future growth. You will be responsible for running large scale cross-functional initiatives across credit decisioning and underwriting, transforming these core capabilities into a composable, self-serviceable business platform.
Furthermore, you will also be responsible for building and growing an engineering team that is happy, productive and engaged.
- Lead the initiation and execution of strategic platform initiatives, including the development of engineering metrics, quality of service measurement, and standards
- Develop the strategy and roadmap for platforming credit decisioning capabilities in collaborations with sr engineering and product leaders across the company
- Hire and build a strong engineering team
- Lead your team to design cohesive cross-business API contracts, event schemas, and SDK interfaces while contributing code at high-leverage points of the codebase
- Facilitate honest and engaging technology discussions with engineers across the org, collating feedback and building consensus around important technology decisions
- Manage and mentor engineers, helping to bring up the next generation of technology leaders in the company
- You have a proven track record of engineering accomplishments, including 5+ years of experience with systems design/architecture and API design at a major consumer product technology company
- You have a proven track record of leading high performance engineering teams, including 5+ years of experience as an engineering manager
- You have developed a technical roadmap and have good project management skills
- You are a strong performer with a notable track record in high-growth environments; you thrive in a high exposure role and are a natural problem solver
- You possess the proven know-how to lead/scale a team, balance multiple high priority initiatives, and define the strategic direction of a business unit
- You are a proven collaborator and peer leader
- You are action oriented and have a strong sense of practicality and effectiveness
- You have excellent communication and relationship-building skills
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and their families, and we require vaccines out of an abundance of caution. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.