Senior Engineering Manager, Database Engineering at Peloton (Greater NYC Area, NY or Remote)
We are looking for an engaged and enthusiastic Senior Engineering Manager to lead the Database Engineering Team in Platform's Core Engineering organization. You will join a team where everyone shares a common interest in designing, running and maintaining the largest databases at Peloton--helping grow our platform to power a world class fitness experience.
Our team's mission is to provide databases-as-a-service and an opinionated database layer to guide and support our internal developers. You will engage with peers and internal customers to understand workloads and design, build and operate services and tools to provide a great user experience for engineers interacting with our database layer. Our goal is to make Peloton's persistent database and caching layers scalable, resilient and secure to a point that operational responsibility is a very small burden on our engineers.
The ideal candidate will have experience working in the domains of backend engineering, infrastructure engineering, database engineering, and site reliability engineering. You will have strong operational knowledge of running SQL and NoSQL databases in the cloud. You will enjoy partnering with other engineering teams to understand their needs, help them scale, and craft a roadmap to reduce operational toil through tooling and automation. As a leader you also understand that you bear a responsibility towards the people you support: ensuring that they are growing as engineers, doing valuable work, and generally having a great time.What You'll Do
- Be a technical leader within Platform Engineering, influencing and driving technical investments across teams with a "Platform Thinking" mindset. Help others in design, sequencing, execution, and problem solving.
- Guide technology around creating an opinionated layer for database across many use cases: caching, transactions, search, and key-value lookup
- Partner with internal engineering teams to help others scale and to create tools and automation that reduces the toil of operational responsibility for databases at Peloton
- Lead a team of world-class database engineers, working with the team and improve quality, scalability, performance, and fault tolerance in systems and developer experiences
- Champion engineering and operational excellence, establishing metrics and processes for assessment and improvements.
- Inspire a healthy, collaborative, empathetic engineering culture in line with Peloton’s values helping your team develop and grow along the engineering journey at Peloton.
- Motivated by working collaboratively in teams and continuously improving by giving and receiving feedback.
- Care deeply about sound engineering practices like automation, scalability, fault tolerance,
- Experienced in designing, building and maintaining distributed database systems. You are able to apply your knowledge and experience in both structured and unstructured database technologies to help improve our database offering
- Have multiple years of experience with working with databases both SQL and NoSQL. Knowledge of CockroachDB, DynamoDB, and Elasticache are a plus
- Well-versed in domains such as Infrastructure-as-Code, Monitoring, Observability, and SLO-based management. Knowledge of Terraform is a plus
- Experienced programming in a language like Python, Golang, Java. You will not code daily but should have the ability to hold a code quality bar on your team.
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, and streaming technology, we create digital fitness and wellness content and products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Peloton is an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you would like to request any accommodations from application through to interview, please email: [email protected]
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Peloton does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Peloton recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be from an @onepeloton.com email address.
If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email, letter or telephone communication purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Peloton, please email [email protected] before taking any further action in relation to the correspondence.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.