Senior Engineering Manager, Platform Engineering
Getting together with real people in real life makes powerful things happen. Side hustles become careers, ideas become movements, and chance encounters become lifelong connections. At Meetup, we’ve made it our mission to empower personal growth through real human connections because we see a future built on deep trust and collective effort. We are creating a world where people can turn to each other to improve their lives.
Software Engineering Managers at Meetup build high performing teams. We value engineering managers who are keen to stay close to the ground and the product, and who see themselves as there to guide teams to work more effectively as well as coach and grow engineers.
It’s an exciting opportunity to help build a team responsible for a critical area of Meetup: You’ll have a chance to influence engineering practices and culture across the entire organization, and play a critical role in helping shape the goals and strategy of Platform Engineering. If you're applying for this role, you're a great leader of people and thrive with the challenge of creating a successful team.
You're our ideal team member if you:
- Have 5+ years of experience managing and running teams, and understand how iterative process and systems improvement improves outcomes.
- Thrive in highly collaborative teams and XP-style agile practices (TDD, pairing, trunk-based development).
- Have experience managing local and remote engineers in technical and non-technical topics; our areas of concern cover web, backend (JS/Lambda), backend (Java/Scala), and technical operations.
- Have experience recruiting engineers, both by interviewing and setting up recruiting processes.
- Are adaptable, and can handle changing requirements and difficult problems. You build process for the long-term while managing iterative, short-term needs.
What you get to do:
- Be an effective people manager that focuses on coaching, team culture, and recruiting.
- Partner with the Director of Engineering to shape how the team is organized and continuously improve how the team works.
- Actively participate in your reports' professional development through coaching, timely and specific feedback, regular 1-on-1s, and highlighting growth opportunities.
- Unblock team members by working with neighboring teams to determine solutions and timelines.
Our engineers are smart, flexible, great problem solvers. Managers are responsible for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship, and honest feedback. We build fast and release code often, relying on their leadership to increase productivity by removing obstacles and keeping processes effective.
Check out our engineering blog: https://medium.com/making-meetup
Meetup employees are bold, supportive, and passionate about empowering people to come together and create community for everyone. We care about moving fast, real-world change, and building diverse, dynamic teams in a safe and inclusive environment. You in?