Senior Engineering Manager, Product at Handshake (Remote)
Everyone is welcome at Handshake. We know diverse teams build better products and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We strongly encourage candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge – we want you to apply. We believe skills are transferable and passion for our mission goes a long way.
Handshake is hiring experienced Senior Engineering Managers who can lead, grow, and support the engineers building our products. Candidates will be matched with a role that is best aligned with their background after completing the interview process.
You will have opportunities to:
Create a direct impact in the world by helping Handshake to democratize the opportunity for our millions of students
Work in an impressive innovative environment, with lots of growth and career development opportunities.
Grow and scale a team, hiring top talent focusing on DEI
Help to define our culture and processes, not only as a team but also as an organization
Build, lead, and develop successfully a team of software engineers from all levels; defining their career development plans, setting specific goals, and motivating them to achieve results as part of their growth
Successfully manage performance; mentoring and coaching software engineers, supporting both high and underperforming individuals
Partner closely with key stakeholders across Handshake, including Design, Product Management, and strategic business partners
Participate in technical decisions and provide technical coaching, helping tech leads to define and prioritize engineering roadmap
Lead with empathy as you help us nurture a culture of growth, inclusion, and belonging
- Background running a team working on B2B Saas products or consumer facing products
Proven track record leading and managing teams of high-output engineers
Background in software engineering and experience with web application platforms
The ability to understand the team’s technical challenges and architecture is the key to success
Working cross-functionally with product managers, designers, and other engineering managers
Ability to successfully communicate across multiple teams and multiple functions in a hybrid work environment
Excellent people management skills, focusing on supporting empowerment
Understanding of agile methodologies
Passion for helping teams and individuals grow, and for building an inclusive culture and diverse team
Values ownership and innovation as part of their role
$182,750 - $225,000
For cash compensation, we set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including geographic location as well as candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.About Us:
Handshake is the #1 place to launch a career with no connections, experience, or luck required. The platform connects up-and-coming talent with 650,000+ employers - from Fortune 500 companies like Google, Nike, and Target to thousands of public school districts, healthcare systems, and nonprofits. Earlier this year, we announced our $200M Series F funding round. This Series F fundraise and new valuation of $3.5B will fuel Handshake’s next phase of growth and propel our mission to help more people start, restart, and jumpstart their careers.
When it comes to our workforce strategy, we’ve thought deeply about how work-life should look here at Handshake. With our Hub-Based Remote Working strategy, employees can enjoy the flexibility of remote work, whilst ensuring collaboration and team experiences in a shared space remains possible. Handshake is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Denver, New York, and London and teammates working globally. So, whether you live on the coasts, the midwest, or overseas, chances are we have a hub near you offering the best of both worlds.
Check out our careers site to find a hub near you!What We Offer:
At Handshake, we'll give you the tools to feel healthy, happy and secure.
- 💰Equity and ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 🍼16 Weeks of paid parental leave for birth giving parents & 10 weeks of paid parental leave for non-birth giving parents.
- 💝Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision policies including LGTBQ+ Coverage. We also provide resources for Mental Health Assistance, Employee Assistance Programs and counseling support.
- 💻Handshake offers $500/£360 home office stipend for you to spend during your first 3 months to create a productive and comfortable workspace at home.
- 📚Generous learning & development opportunities and an annual $2,000/£1,500/2k€ stipend for you to grow your skills and career.
- 🏦401k Match: Handshake offers a dollar-for-dollar match on 1% of deferred salary, up to a maximum of $1,200 per year.
- 🏝All full-time US-based Handshakers are eligible for our flexible time off policy to get out and see the world. In addition, we offer 8 standardized holidays, and 2 additional days of flexible holiday time off. Lastly, we have a Winter #ShakeBreak, a one-week period of Collective Time Off.
- 🏦Pension Scheme: Handshake will provide you with a workplace pension, where you will make contributions based on 5% of your salary. Handshake will pay the equivalent of 3% towards your pension plan, subject to qualifying earnings limits.
- 🏝Up to 25 days of vacation to encourage people to reset, recharge, and refresh, in addition to 8 bank holidays throughout the year.
- ❤️Wellbeing Stipend
- ✏️Productivity Stipend (60€/month for mobility in Berlin or 500€ one-off for home office set-up outside of Berlin)
Benefits above apply to employees in full-time positions.
Looking for more? Explore our mission, values and comprehensive US benefits at joinhandshake.com/careers.