Senior Engineering Manager at Codecademy (Greater NYC Area, NY or Remote)
We are NYC based, but remote friendly unless specified. (US & Canada based candidates only)
Hello, World! Codecademy is on a mission to build inspiring careers in technology through engaging, accessible, and interactive online coding education.
Our learners have gone on to start new jobs, launch new companies, and lead new lives thanks to their work with Codecademy, and our platform has transformed the way businesses develop and retain their teams.
Since 2011, our team has grown to over 200 employees serving 50+ million learners from 190+ countries. We’ve raised over $82M in venture capital funding from top investors including Prosus, Owl Ventures, Union Square Ventures, Y Combinator, and more--which gives us the capital to get stuff done in an impactful way.
Join us to help build a business that empowers tens of millions of people to lead better lives!
In this role, you will coach, motivate, and inspire your team to work on interesting projects as we deliver products and features that empower our learners around the world. Clear communication and facilitating growth as a Senior Engineering Manager is key as you will not only be leading your two different teams but collaborating across engineering teams within the company as well.
You will join the Growth team. This team is focused on experimentation, growth, and testing to help make lasting changes to our B2C business across the globe. The team will help grow our business by understanding what sets of offerings we want to present to our learners in order to achieve their learning goals, whether that be through our existing free & paid offerings, or through new groups of features and content. Growth is a new team with the opportunity to drive meaningful change at Codecademy!WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Hire and build an engineering team that is driven by the mission and vision that you champion for the team
- Work with individual engineers to define career goals and align their ambitions with relevant projects and tasks
- Guide your team on architecting and authoring services across our platform that enable our users to achieve their learning goals
- Collaborate with other teams to get ahead of cross-team dependencies
- Contribute to engineering team-wide process improvements and automation
- Help Improving the scalability and efficiency of our infrastructure
- 3+ years of management experience with at least five engineers
- Previous experience hiring technical talent
- 3+ years of experience as a software engineer
- Experience developing web applications using Ruby on Rails, or similar frameworks
- Experience in performance management and career goal setting
- Experience working with cross functional teams
- Experience leading Product & Design heavy projects
- Creating Roadmaps and defining success metrics
- Stakeholder negotiation
- Strong empathy and adaptability
- Experience with more than one management methodology Scrum, XP, and other methodologies
- Coaching and Mentorship
- Experience utilizing Codecademy’s Platform
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of learners with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.#LI-Remote