Senior Front End Engineer - Design Systems at Better
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is looking for an engineer to join our Design Systems team. The Design Systems team is responsible, among other things, for maintaining and evolving our main component library, building frontend tools, and helping product engineers ship high quality user interfaces.
We started this team in 2020, and we have focused most of our efforts into making our component library a first-class citizen and improving collaboration between design and engineering. In the next year, we’ll continue to focus on building out the component library, growing our team and improving how we build user interfaces company-wide. In the future, we will have our own pod dedicated to support product teams on their day to day by providing specialized UI knowledge in an embedded format. Our Engineering team is headquartered in NYC, but is remote friendly. All remote employees must be US based.What You Will Accomplish
- You’ll be building a design system alongside designers and developers
- You’ll be configuring frontend infrastructure to allow us to ship more quickly and effectively
- You’ll be designing the interfaces of reusable, generic, and shareable components that will be used by 10+ teams
- Writing React and TypeScript daily
In this role, you’ll collaborate with the Design Systems manager to plan projects and lead the technical implementation of our design system. As our team grows you’ll have the opportunity to mentor other team members. Designers and engineers at Better can choose to progress their career while continuing as an Individual Contributor or by moving into a management role. We’ll support you in growing your skills in either direction.Tools You’ll Use
- Git and Github
- Theme UI
- You have at least 4 years experience developing user-facing features or developer tools on the web
- Proven experience in writing reliable, maintainable, and powerful code that may be used by many other people
- Enthusiasm for collaborating with a diverse array of partners, including product managers, designers, and engineers across a variety of platforms
- Experience writing maintainable and scalable CSS or CSS-in-JS
- Experience with or a desire to learn about web accessibility
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations
- Demonstrated design and UX sensibilities
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.