Senior Frontend Developer at thelab
We are looking for an experienced front-end developer to work with our client’s e-commerce business. The ideal candidate would have experience working closely with designers and large frontend codebases (like Angular). We are looking for someone who is self-motivated and is able to work with a team early on in a project, plan and identify requirements, see a project through to completion, and mentor junior members of the team along the way.
We will be:
An awesome place for you to grow and learn. We stay open-minded about ideas and make sure our technology is always up-to-date, because we believe the best work gets made when we evolve our skills together. thelab is large enough to get an amazing variety of work, but small enough to stay flexible and work with smaller brands and startups too—we even have a few products of our own. You’ll work on a lot of different kinds of projects, and you’ll do it with reasonable timelines, surrounded by an inclusive community who wants to see you succeed (no brogrammers, please!). And you’ll generally finish your day with plenty of time left over to meet your friends for a drink—or grab one with your new team.
What our interview process looks like:
- We’ll schedule an initial brief, general phone interview so we can get to know you, answer any questions you may have, and see if we might be a good fit for you and vice versa. After that, you’ll have a technical phone interview with a member of the dev team.
- From there, we’d want to bring you in for an onsite interview and would email you details about a general architectural problem beforehand.
- At the onsite interview, we’re looking to understand your thinking process—not your knowledge of algorithms. That’s why we won’t be asking you to do whiteboard problems, but instead, we’ll ask you to explain your high-level approach to the architectural problem we shared, articulating it to both an experienced and junior dev.
- A team player who thrives in a collaborative environment—no lone wolf mentalities!
- Experienced in leading teams and mentoring people
- Not afraid to fail and always looking to learn from those failures
- Able to understand different approaches and comfortable learning/using both newer and older tech when it’s a better fit
- Able to develop web functionality in TypeScript and SASS
- Able to lead complex single page web applications with Angular (or React/Vue/etc) and Node. Leader in architecture decisions like state management and server side rendering.
- Able to work with APIs and have a high level understanding of how frontends and backends interact
- Able to prototype solutions with design that can eventually scale to larger solutions
- Able to manage multiple projects and deliverables occurring concurrently during a sprint
- Interested in collaborating with a design team to create great user experiences including complex styling and animation
- Looking to work on a diverse team because you enjoy hearing different opinions and ideas
Nice to haves (Not required):
- Preference of command line interfaces over graphical
- Knowledge of running dev environments through Docker
- Experience working in open source community and contributing changes
- Keeping up to date with latest design tooling, such as Sketch and Avocode
- Experience working as a designer or background in design
- Experience in e-commerce
- Knowledge of server side rendering techniques in Node
- Python and Django experience
We’re an agency of makers with deep expertise in solving creative, production, and
technology challenges. Our focus is on making better work to help brands work better, and our production roots ensure that every great idea gets delivered right. From branding & design, photoshoots and video production, software builds or anything in between, thelab mixes inspiration and hard work to produce results that mean business. Oh, and we host a mean barbecue too.
A little bit more about what you’ll get working with us:
- great pay and benefits, including full medical, dental and vision, as well as 401k with match
- generous PTO and paid volunteer days
- fun employee events, including monthly game nights, outdoor BBQs and more
- an awesome work set up, with helpful co-workers, lots of snacks, daily breakfast and the occasional friendly pup