Senior Full-Stack Software Engineer
We’re Away. We make thoughtful objects for modern travel. For us, getting Away means getting more out of every trip to come.
Away is seeking a forward-thinking senior software engineer to join our team. The ideal candidate will be a passionate thought-leader that is adept at creating elegant, future-facing experiences, and technologies. They will be developing technology solutions, working closely with a variety of stakeholders.
The right candidate is excited to be an early employee at a recently-launched, venture-backed lifestyle brand, and is eager to take on an array of responsibilities spanning technology execution and strategy. They understands the importance of working cross-functionally and thrives in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment. This position is based out of our headquarters in NoHo, New York City.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with talented designers, product managers, and fellow engineers to build and plan new features for Away web properties, including both e-commerce and editorial experiences
- Write robust, well-designed software that delivers great value to the business and is easy to maintain.
- Push and refine our technology, user experience and creative practices.
- Help us transition from Backbone to a decoupled view layer build on React.
- Serve as a key tactical and strategic technology representative within the organization.
- Deploy to code to production multiple times a day.
Who you are:
- Experienced, with a minimum of 5 years working on consumer-facing web applications in a professional environment, an expertise in Ruby, and ideally a working knowledge of Solidus.
- An admirer of beautiful code and a craftsman in your approach to building applications.
- Curious. You're familiar with some of the latest and bleeding edge technologies that are powering the future of the web such as ES6, React, and various state patterns/libraries like Redux. Ideally, you’ve worked with Node and maybe GraphQL, Apollo, or Relay.
- Thoughtful with a good understanding of design patterns, object-oriented programming, and API design for RESTful applications.
- Thorough, ensuring that all your code has the proper unit and feature tests.
- Capable of deploying and interacting with AWS, Heroku, or similar IaaS or PaaS providers.
- Agile in your approach to software development.
- A clear communicator that can reduce ambiguity and promote transparency with team members and co-workers.Proactive. You can independently seek out answers and own project responsibilities
- Excited to work in a scrappy, quickly evolving startup and accelerate your career.
- Competitive salary + equity
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Fitness reimbursement
- Quarterly company outings
- Annual international team trips
Away (awaytravel.com) is modernizing the travel experience, beginning with your luggage, while striving to set the example for how socially conscious companies should conduct themselves. In November 2015, we launched our brand in Vogue, GQ, and USA Today, and have been featured in over 80 publications including New York Magazine, Travel + Leisure, and Wallpaper*. Away was founded by two Warby Parker alums and has raised $31M in venture funding from investors including Global Founders Capital, Forerunner Ventures, and Accel Partners.