Senior Fullstack Engineer: Discovery Team at Codecademy
We are NYC based but remote friendly!
Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. Almost a decade later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of about 200 distributed through North America and headquartered in SoHo, NYC. We’ve raised over $87.5m in venture capital funding from top investors including Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Owl Ventures, Union Square Ventures, Y Combinator, and more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year and helps them lead better lives, join us!
The Discovery Team's goal is to show our users how Codecademy can help them, on their first visit. We help our learners understand what Codecademy has to offer, and guide them to find and enroll in the right learning experience within our products. We work with experimentation frameworks and heavily use the data we collect to find new ways of acquiring users and improving our user experience.
If you’re passionate about helping more people learn technical skills and finding the right way and time to introduce them to our products, this is the team for you.WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Design and improve systems for gaining insights about user learning (Ruby on Rails, Go, AWS Redshift/SQL)
- Architect efficient and reusable front-end systems that drive complex web applications
- Collaborate closely with our Curriculum, Data Science, Design, Marketing, and Product teams to build an engaging user experience for our learners
- Build products and experiences people love through intuitive design and clear user experiences
- Design and improve APIs to enable other product teams to surface learning data to users in novel ways (Ruby, Go)
- Take your ideas from concept to reality: use our experimentation systems to test different variations of our pages to experiment, iterate, learn, and repeat
- Be a champion for developing and adhering to engineering standards within your team. We want to build high-quality software that’s easy to understand, easy to change, and works the way it’s supposed to
- Put automated testing, tracking, and monitoring in place to ensure our website is always working as expected
- Expertise in browser APIs and optimizing for frontend performance
- Experience with frontend frameworks like React, AngularJS, Vue.js, or another equivalent framework
- Experience working with RESTful APIs or GraphQL and client/server architectures
- A passion for testing best practices; can write unit tests in your favorite language with your eyes closed
- Excited about the opportunities and challenges of working on projects touching all areas of our codebase and associated microservices
- Expertise in HTML & CSS, with a knack for layout, specificity, cross browser compatibility, and accessibility
- You gained your software engineering skills without the benefit of a traditional CS education, whether you're self-taught, a bootcamp grad, or a Codecademy learner!
- You love teaching people to code as a mentor, volunteer, writer, or teacher
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.#LI-Remote