ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
The Tech team at theSkimm is a group of experienced, resourceful programmers who build tools throughout the tech stack, often connecting components together in innovative ways to maximize scalability and maintainability. At theSkimm, engineers work in lockstep with product managers, designers, analysts, and key business stakeholders to devise project plans that prioritize improving our audience’s experience while balancing frequent iterations and thoughtful source code changes. Our mission is to enable our partners across the company, from Editorial and Audio to Marketing and Advertising, to achieve their goals with the best systems and processes we can offer. We build, share knowledge across departments, and learn quickly so we can take best advantage of what’s coming.
As we grow, we’re looking for an experienced Engineer to help mentor a group of developers responsible for our web tools - both externally-facing sites and internally-facing systems. Reporting to our Sr. Dir. of Engineering, you'll be responsible for working alongside product, design and other teams to help define new components and refine existing ones as we advance on an aggressive product roadmap.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Researching & proposing solutions for interactive components that can be easily integrated and decoupled from current in-house CMS platform
- Rapidly developing prototypes to test and iterate up -eventually evolving into working components
- Partnering with data and product teams to monitor user experience and iterating upon learnings
- Programming across our Node and React application, and occasionally our Rails applications.
- Exploring emerging technologies that will allow us to port our apps to other platforms (eg. email, serverless functions, microsites, etc)
- Building connections between theSkimm's content and its distribution platforms, often via GraphQL APIs.
- Offering suggestions to improve the Tech team's development workflow in the cloud (AWS)
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- 6+ years of industry experience building fast, reliable, scalable web-based interactive components & applications
- Experience with modern web technologies, e.g. ES6, Babel, React, Redux
- Familiarity using developer tools that increase productivity and facilitate the development of resilient code (eg. Docker, CircleCI)
- A commitment to building the best user experience through innovation and attention to detail
- Ability to thrive and be resourceful in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, and high-growth environment
- Eagerness and ability to adopt new technologies / libraries / approaches quickly
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Strong emphasis on UX and product development
- History of ideating and developing proof of concepts and then developing into MVP to iterate upon
- Facility in presenting and discussing the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- Proven ability to work independently while regularly communicating out progress of projects
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for theSkimm: passion for our audience and mission
- Experience and comfort working on small teams responsible for large portions of a big business
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping millennial women live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than 12 million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.