Senior Infrastructure Engineer, Application Frameworks
The Platform Engineering at Peloton builds tools and services to enable product engineering teams to iterate on ideas quickly and deliver highly reliable and scalable products. We are tackling challenging problems at scale as a result of the rapid growth in our user base and the growth of our engineering team. Infrastructure Engineering is responsible for building frameworks, tools, and services for Peloton’s backend application infrastructure and improving application scalability.
- Using your deep knowledge of Python to abstract complexities behind Pythonic, easy to use interfaces, enabling product engineers to move fast.
- Improve Peloton’s ORM framework which provides an interface for interacting with data from a variety of databases (Postgres, Redis, Cassandra, etc).
- Build or improve libraries and tooling in areas such as caching, monitoring, and connection pools.
- Drive the move to break our backend monolith into service oriented architecture.
- Evangelize best practices in Python and foster continued learning of Python across the engineering organization.
- Expert knowledge of Python, including:
- Understand the Zen of Python and PEP 8 and care deeply about code quality.
- Know that Python is a multi-paradigm language and able to decide when to use an object-oriented approach, when to use a functional approach, and when to use an imperative approach.
- Understand concurrency models in Python and how threads, processes, and GIL works. Able to use and explain the internals of concurrency libraries such as asyncio, gevent, twisted, or tornado.
- Understand how Python references and garbage collection work.
- Proficient with Python built-ins, and libraries such as collections, itertools, and functools.\
- Familiar with differences between Python 2 and Python 3.
- Strong understanding of software engineering principles and fundamentals including data structures and algorithms.
- Experience with service oriented architectures and (bonus) breaking monolithic applications into services.
- B.S. in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent years of work experience
Founded in 2012, Peloton is an innovative tech company that brings members the best workouts possible, all from the convenience of their own home via the Bike,Tread and iOS App platforms. Peloton uses technology and design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime.
Peloton believes in taking risks and challenging the status quo by continuously innovating and improving. We put our users, members, and customers first and we obsess over every touch point of the member experience – be it the studio, product or showroom. We like to hire the best and encourage all our associates to be Peloton’s brand ambassadors. Most importantly, we know that together we go far.