Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about security innovation at scale and keeping the cloud safe for entrepreneurs and developers globally.
We are looking for an inspired and motivated technical contributor to join the DigitalOcean Security Organization as an Infrastructure Security Engineer. Reporting to the Infrastructure Security Manager, the Infrastructure Security Engineer will be a key member of DigitalOcean’s security team, charged with playing an integral part in improving the security posture of DigitalOcean, ensuring a secure cloud infrastructure for both internal users and customers.
Grow your skills and level up your career by joining a fast-moving team that is building security at scale. You will lead projects, architect, and build security tooling from the ground up. Use your engineering skills to create new and innovative ways to increase the security surrounding our production and corporate infrastructure. Your work will provide security instrumentation and secure architectures in DigitalOcean’s environments, both corporate and customer facing.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Establishing an understanding of DigitalOcean’s production and corporate environments, from applications to infrastructure, keeping up-to-date with material changes and future directions
- Building and maintaining state-of-the-art tooling to keep DigitalOcean’s infrastructure and corporate environments safe from external attack and insider threat
- Partnering closely with the other technical teams within the Security Organization and across our engineering and infrastructure functions to harden accounts, platforms, and service structures to combat intrusions, hijackings, and potential compromises
- Developing early warning systems to detect, respond, and mitigate risks to the business as well as the customer environment
- Engineering approaches to harvest security relevant events, converting that data into actionable intelligence, and collaborating with other technical teams to act on it
- Consistently improving security as the company scales, driving continuous improvement through data collection and correlation, being mindful that security should be an efficiency enabler for the business - not a detractor
- Broad network security experience in high-volume production environments, including firewall auditing, WAF and open source NIDS solutions such as Zeek, Snort, and Suricata
- Experience automating security tooling, alerting, and remediation workflows especially security event enrichment, reduction, and correlation
- Vulnerability Management experience, focused on prioritizing known vulnerabilities for remediation at scale and classifying previously unknown vulnerabilities
- Strong understanding of Linux systems, services, and deployment models (eg, Ubuntu)
- Experience engineering and maintaining Identity and Access management systems (eg, OpenLDAP, Okta, VPN or Zero Trust)
- Clear written and verbal communication skills to include: technical writing, presenting, coaching, mentoring
- Bonus: Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Endpoint Intrusion Detection, Response, and Remediation, open source or commercial
- Configuration as Code software and methods (eg, Chef, Salt, Ansible)
- Message Bus Architectures and Data Processing Pipelines (eg, Kafka)
- Open source log management (eg, ELK)
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Security #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Security team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!