Our mission is to provide the type of video experience that helps our customers grow their audiences and monetize their content, and we’re looking for passionate and motivated engineers like you to help us do it!
You'll join a collaborative team of engineers with a high degree of autonomy and a strong sense of ownership to maintain and innovate on the video player technology that powers upwards of 15 billion plays on a monthly basis. Our product is used by some of the world’s top publishers and broadcasters such as Eurosport, PBS, and Fast Company and you'll play a huge role in our continued mission to provide an optimal viewing experience for our users all over the world.
In this role you will:
- Leverage browser APIs to continually optimize the video playback experience across the vastly fragmented browser and device landscape
- Contribute to open-source projects such as hls.js (we are a core contributor)
- Utilize our data footprint to innovate and iterate on player features, thereby creating the smartest video player on the market
- Take on ownership of projects, seeing them through to the finish line through effective planning, clear communication, thoughtful collaboration and excellent time management
- Have a direct impact on the product roadmap through ideation that fosters divergent thought
- Participate in bi-annual company-wide hackathons
Candidates who have been successful in this role generally have:
- Strong debugging and troubleshooting skills, utilizing dev tools across the most popular browsers (Chrome, FF, Safari, IE/Edge)
- Experience performance tuning browser applications
- Excellent OOP skills and knowledge of design patterns
- Practiced Test-Driven Development (TDD) or Behavior-Driven Development (BDD)
- A deep understanding of browsers, particularly features needed for video playback (MSE, EME, event handling, dom manipulation)
- Expert knowledge of HTML, CSS, and related web technologies
- Experience working in a collaborative, team environment
Working knowledge of the following is a huge bonus, but not a requirement:
- VAST specification
- Ad tech (Google IMA, Freewheel, SSAI/DAI)
- OTT devices (Chromecast, Airplay)
About JW Player
JW Player pioneered video on the web over a decade ago and continues to innovate as the world’s largest network-independent platform for video delivery and intelligence. Media companies including Fox, VICE, Business Insider, and Univision, in addition to hundreds of thousands of creators of all types and sizes, rely on JW Player to deliver and monetize their content across all devices. JW Player’s massive global footprint of over 2 billion unique devices creates a powerful data graph of unique consumer insights and generates billions of incremental video views. The company is headquartered in New York, with offices in London and Eindhoven, and was named to Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500™ in 2017. For more information, visit http://www.jwplayer.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.