Senior Manager, Product Design Engineering Innovation at Harry's Inc.
About the team
The Hard Products R&D Team is at the heart of product creation for all of our global brands. Our teams are composed of engineers, materials scientists, product researchers, technicians, program managers, and more. We work cross-functionally to develop insightful, innovative products that fulfill the unmet, sometimes unspoken, needs of our customers. We are the engine behind our shaving business, developing razors, handles, and accessories; plus anything made from metal or plastic, in any product category. Innovation sits primarily at the front end of this creative process, starting with concept development and taking ideas through engineering, prototyping, and demonstration, which are then transitioned into product development.
About the role
The Senior Manager, PDE is a talented, energetic, and experienced individual who will lead an equally talented engineering team in the creation, design, and development of our Hard Products including cartridges, razor handles, accessories, and more. This individual will ensure team members are creating exceptional, technically sound products through the use of robust engineering processes while also working against proper metrics and timelines. As a technical coach and mentor, this individual will themselves have demonstrated success in bringing technically complex products to market and have strong design and engineering capabilities.
This person is a key cross-functional partner with the New Product Introduction (NPI), Industrial Design, Program Management, Quality, Marketing, and Product Research/Consumer Insights teams. As a team, interaction at Harry’s centers around four company values:
- We encourage questions, sharing expertise, and constant learning to improve ourselves, our company, our industry, and our customers' experiences.
- We always expect direct, honest, and supportive communication. We tell it like it is without blame and see every interaction as an opportunity to grow together.
- Each of us is a humble, hardworking human who always gives more than what’s expected because we care so deeply. We work, have fun, endure lows, and celebrate highs as a team.
- We critically question conventional wisdom in search of the best path. Harry’s was founded as a better alternative. We pursue the charted and uncharted and take smart risks. We’re always game for a challenge. Plus, making something better is exciting!
What you will accomplish:
- Lead the Product Design Engineering Innovation team and partner with other cross-functional leaders at Harry’s to define and deliver large strategic initiatives
- Drive technically successful and timely engineering development and execution of new product initiatives
- Perform project management for your team by prioritizing tasks and ensuring deliverables are met
- Serve as key point of contact with the Program Management team to coordinate program level objectives and implement direct action plans for your team
- Be a champion of effective engineering processes as well as contributing to and improving upon them
- Drive technical and data driven decision making on PDE projects
- Participate in resource planning and help build the Innovation teams as the company grows
- Direct management of Product Design Engineers
- Travel up to 25% (once it’s safe to do so)
This should describe you:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or similar
- 10+ years of experience in the design, testing, and development of new products, including 2+ years in the direct line management of engineers in product development
- Experience in consumer products (e.g. CPG/FMCG, Consumer Electronics) or medical devices
- Demonstrated leadership in a high performing team environment
- Experience with building new teams and nurturing a strong, positive team dynamic
- Creative, analytical, dynamic, and operates with flexibility
- Strong background in high volume plastic part design and manufacturing mechanical assemblies, 3D CAD (SolidWorks, Creo, CATIA, etc.), engineering drawings, tolerances, and specifications.
- Skills in FMEA, DFM, GD&T, DoE, simulation/modeling (FEA) desirable.
- Experienced at managing multiple projects in a fast-paced, challenging, and always changing environment with the ability to shift priorities to meet rapidly evolving business needs. Program Management experience is highly desirable.
- Sense of humor
Here's who you'll work with:
- Reporting to the Director of R&D Hard Product Innovation
- Will work cross functionally with the New Product Introduction team, Program Management, Industrial Design, Quality, Product Research/Consumer Insights, Manufacturing, Operations and Supply Chain, Legal, and Third Party Suppliers.
Harry’s Inc. started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harry’s expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target and Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, and launched a women’s brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, and logistics specialists, Harry’s team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, and humble people you’ll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion and innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, and backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values and our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement and learning, teamwork and collaboration, creative problem solving, and open and direct dialogue and feedback. Come for the coffee and free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together.
Harry’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire and promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Harry’s commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline and access to benefits and training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.