Senior Medical Informaticist
We're looking for a Senior Medical Informaticist to help us accomplish our mission to improve lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. Here's what you need to know about the role, our team and why Flatiron Health is the right next step in your career.
What You'll Do
In this role, you'll lead projects, formulate Flatiron’s vision for semantic interoperability, and educate Flatiron community in the areas of Knowledge Representation, interoperability and standardization. You’ll develop creative ways for a wide cross-section of teams to explore, organize, and leverage the clinical and billing data in our systems. In addition, you'll also:
- Drive and implement the vision and overall strategy for semantic interoperability and management of standardized terminology content for Flatiron’s data platforms
- Identify roadmap and related objectives and key results for MI-provided services and data products
- Review editorial policies and content designs for the curation, mapping, and versioning of clinical and payer-related data from multiple applications
- Standardize clinical and billing data to clinical and payer-related controlled vocabularies and classifications
- Expand and adapt ontologies when existing standards fall short
- Work with a team of product managers, software engineers, and clinicians to identify, design, and implement clinical and payer-related data and terminology across Flatiron products
- Be a data interoperability standards and terminology expert on our team
- Stay on top of new software technologies and tools that help us better analyze, manage, and organize standardized and controlled vocabularies
- Collaborate with technical and clinical cross-functional product teams to identify requirements and scope of work involving the medical informatics team
If you’re excited about harmonizing clinical data through healthcare IT standardization and passionate about how data interoperability is transforming patient care, you will find the work on our Informatics team rewarding. Every day will provide something new and challenging in curating and managing content for large data sets and ensuring data quality.
Who You Are
You're an informaticist with clinical knowledge and experience applying technology to unlock insights from clinical data. You're excited by the prospect of rolling up your sleeves to tackle meaningful problems each and every day. You’re a kind, passionate and collaborative problem-solver who seeks and gives candid feedback, and values the chance to make an important impact.
- You have experience in leading projects which involve cross-collaboration with product managers, engineers, and clinical subject matter experts
- You have significant hands-on experience curating and extracting data from databases, analyzing data, and/or integrating terminologies
- You have a Bachelor’s or graduate degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Bioinformatics, or Medical/Healthcare Informatics, or an advanced clinical degree (MD or RN) with substantial technical design and programming experience
- You have Experience in analyzing and/or developing information models
- You have strong organizational and communication skills
If this sounds like you, you'll fit right in at Flatiron.
Our Informaticists have different specializations. If you have a couple of the following, this might be helpful in matching you to specific roles within the team:
- You have some technical understanding of at least one programming language (Python, C#, Java, etc.)
- You have an in-depth knowledge of standard classifications and codesets used in medical coding and billing schemes, such as ICD-10, CPT, HCPCS, and NDC
- You have a knowledge of standard controlled vocabularies like LOINC, RxNorm, SNOMED-CT, and NCI Thesaurus
- You have clinical provider experience (e.g.: RN, Lab specialist, MD)
- You have experience working with a terminology management system like 3M’s Healthcare Data Dictionary (HDD), Health Language International (HLI), or Clinical Architecture’s Symedical Server
- You have experience working with drug database integrations (e.g.: First Databank, Medispan, Multum)
- You have knowledge of clinical oncology and oncology data. Knowledge of healthcare IT data standards like HL7v2.x, HL7 v3 CDA, and HL7 FHIR. Some knowledge of claims billing formats (HCFA 1500, UB-92) and EDI transaction sets (X12 EDI 835, 837)
- You have experience in data analysis of at least one Electronic Health Record (EHR) system (e.g.: Epic, MOSAIQ, Varian, Cerner)
Why You Should Join Our Team
A career at Flatiron is a chance to work with everyone involved in the future of cancer care and research—all under one roof. Researchers, data scientists, designers, clinicians, technologists and many more all work together to improve cancer care and accelerate research.
You'll also find a culture of continuous learning, broad and inclusive employee support offerings, and a commitment to supporting our team members in all aspects of their lives—at home, at work and everywhere in between. We offer:
- Flatiron University training curriculum which includes presentation skills, meeting mastery, coding languages and more
- Career coaching opportunities
- Hackathons for all employees (not just our engineers!)
- Professional development benefit for attending conferences, industry events and external courses
- Work/life autonomy via flexible work hours and flexible paid time off
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks for either parent)
- Back-up child care
- Flatiron-sponsored fitness classes
Flatiron Health is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.