Senior Network Engineer at DigitalOcean
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about building huge scale networks on the Internet.
We are looking for a Senior Network Engineer to join the existing network engineering team, working with the infrastructure group. Reporting to the Manager of Network Engineering, the Network Engineer will be part of a team that is designing, implementing and maintaining the DigitalOcean network from the Internet edge to the hypervisor connections. Our networks need to be massively scalable, and enable systems agility, while providing our hundreds of thousands of customers with the most stable platform. We work with other infrastructure and engineering teams to ensure new products and features have scalable network architectures and will provide the performance our customers require.
If you’re looking for a Network Engineering role to challenge your skills and be rewarding and fulfilling, while working with top of the line equipment and manage a large network with huge scaling requirements and modern design, this job is for you.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Rolling out new network infrastructure to our various locations remotely around the world
- Ensuring that our existing network is running at its peak
- Providing support to customers who are experiencing network related issues
- Responding to and troubleshooting alerts as well as participating in our on-call rotation
- Working closely with other teams within the infrastructure group to build a scalable and economical network
- Optimizing our automation systems
- Experience working on, building, and troubleshooting large-scale datacenter networks
- Experience working on, building, and troubleshooting global backbone networks
- Experience working with network vendor hardware/software including Arista, Cisco (IOS XR), and Juniper
- Experience working with typical layer-2 and -3 protocols (e.g., BGP, OSPF, VRRP, IS-IS)
- Experience working with MPLS, specifically BGP-LU and RSVP-TE
- Understanding of peering and transit and their roles on the Internet
- The ability to function independently on routine tasks and project work
- The ability to utilize a variety of communication skills and document concepts with a particular audience in mind
- Strong Linux skills along with experience in Python or any other similar language
- Experience with network automation solutions including Ansible or Salt, NAPALM and OpenConfig
- Understanding of overlay and underlay networking concepts
- Certifications are nice, but not required
- Bonus points for any optical networking experience
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Infrastructure #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Infrastructure team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!