Senior Platform Engineer - API
What you'll do:
- Work closely with our mobile developers to build back-end architecture that unlocks velocity.
- Propose which features are good candidates for microservices – and own the strategy, architecture, and implementation.
- Balance important developer-driven projects with improvements our users will notice.
- Design elegant and scalable APIs that can be used by both mobile and web clients.
- Create and maintain the components around our APIs (bullets below):
- API versioning, authentication, caching, documentation
- GraphQL schema design, schema stitching
- MySQL schema design, query writing, query optimization
- Microservice architecture
- Performance monitoring, error reporting
Why we're excited about you:
- You’re an experienced back-end engineer with a proven history of building at scale.
- You have extensive knowledge of GraphQL and RESTful APIs, and can share best practices with the larger team.
- You’re ready to work with an existing code base (some understanding of PHP, node.js and TypeScript is expected) but you can pick up language expertise as needed.
- You are a natural collaborator – you work seamlessly within and between teams.
- You are motivated by full ownership over your work, and are eager to help improve our users’ mobile experience.
- Your experience with mobile development is a plus!
Why you're excited about us:
- Impact: Our users are increasingly turning to mobile to use Skillshare, and you’ll play a huge role in ensuring they not only have access, but an incredibly seamless experience.
- Growth: You’ll have room to wear a lot of hats and take on more responsibility over time.
- Our mission: We are building a learning ecosystem for the new economy and changing millions of lives for the better.
- Our team: We have a passionate, smart team that is a lot of fun to work with.
- Your life: We take pride in our flexibility. Working remotely is part of how we need to work these days. You’re a professional, and we trust you to do what you need to do.