We're looking for a Security Design Engineer to solve large-scale across-the-stack security challenges in our products and infrastructure. Your work will make our million+ customers more secure and will help ensure that DigitalOcean is a respected contributor to the broader security community.
You'll report to the Director of Product & Infrastructure Security and will work with the rest of DigitalOcean to find innovative ways to make the systems we build as safe as possible. Our customers trust us with their data and operations, and we take that responsibility seriously. Security at DO means solving incredibly complex problems at a high-scale that have real impact for our customers, our products, and for the larger internet community.What you’ll be doing:Collaborate with product managers, designers, and engineers to architect secure and resilient systems
- Contribute to security requirements and use case development
- Conduct threat modeling exercises and security risk assessments
- Review source code for secure coding best practices
- Define, document, and implement security design patterns
- Build frameworks and libraries to provide secure defaults
- Automate tools that will scan and detect security problems
- Participate in outreach (e.g. developer training, office hours, internal CTFs)
- Write blog posts to highlight our security practices
We know you will have a unique combination of skills and don’t expect you to check every box on this list. Below are some of the skills that you have acquired already or will have the opportunity to learn while at DigitalOcean:
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- A habit of approaching security problems with creativity and flexibility that takes the entire stack into consideration
- Experience collaborating with internal engineering teams
- Working knowledge of modern development concepts (virtualized environments, containerization, continuous integration & delivery), network architecture, and system architecture
- Experience building or reviewing threat models and ability to craft malicious user, attacker, and abuse/misuse cases
- Software engineering experience (you can write robust code with good test coverage and can point to specific examples of projects you’ve successfully delivered in the past)
- Working knowledge of hardware and software supply chain security
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC and Cambridge, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here
Want to learn more about our Security team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!